What is happening with LightSwitch? RRS feed

• Question

• There doesn't seem to be any recent activity with LightSwitch. No substantive posts on the team blog in a while and nothing new in VS2013 update 3 (the forum sticky still refers to Update 2).  Will there be any enhancements to the html client or the back end that do not require SharePoint or CBA?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi I feel the same as you. I have been here from the first release and It has been a bumpy road all the way. Now I think it has come to an end, Maby not the end but close.

Sven Elm

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Hi again On the other hand it has been holidays. Every summer its quiet here from the Ls team.

Sven Elm

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:16 PM
  • They did a Blog post a few days ago:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2014/08/04/visual-studio-2013-update-3-released-amp-july-content-rollup.aspx

"This month is light on the content as many of the team members are enjoying their summer vacations and taking advantage of the awesome weather here in the Pacific Northwest..."

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch 2013 HTML Client / SharePoint 2013 book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

• Edited by ADefwebserver Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:16 PM
  • I hope it's just a slow Summer...

Without any sort of roadmap, and the history of the SilverLight client debacle, you can't blame us for being nervous when there is a period of silence.  You never know if they are going to release the most whizbang thing anyone has every seen, or if they are going to dump the product without saying a word.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:30 PM
  • I wish they would simply publish a real road map. It is very difficult for businesses like ourselves to plan their software development projects without a road map. Essentially we can only plan with what we have today in LS - nothing more.

In one of the other posts where the future of LS was questioned (can't find it now) Beth was quick to point out that LS does have a future in the O365 space. However, that is still not a really a road map.

I wonder for example, why LS project types are not explicitly supported in the new O345 APIs for example. That may well come, but we have to speculate again. I know we can probably make it work, but why not explicitly? Or why not state when it will be supported?

Perhaps we all get a big pleasant surprise and a new LS HTML client built on AngularJS with no JQuery Mobile and a great set of controls inherited from the newly released WinJS is just around the corner.... 

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:00 AM
  • @XanderThat would be awesome.  I would love, for example, to be able to use bootstrap out of the box with the html client so that it could seamlessly integrate with MVC pages without a ton of work.  I realize you can make your own client but it would be great to have a client template that did not rely on JQM.  The sharepoint and 0365 stuff has always scared me.  I just want to make standalone apps with LightSwitch...
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:07 PM