none
2.9.7205.27375 Doest work at all and crashes Citrix servers RRS feed

• Question

• Currently running previous version 2.9.7117.27413 for office containers only alongside UPM (7.15 LTSR CU4) on Server 2016 Citrix hosts without any real issue with the exception of the Windows Search service becoming disabled randomly...

Attempting upgrade to newest 2.9.7205.27375 to resolve search service issue on test environment and when users login the server will eventually freeze up completely and be non-recoverable. The only way out is to forcibly shut down the VM. The issues might happen immediately the first user logs in, or it may be when the 2nd or 3rd users logs in. Usually occurs when Skype for Business or Outlook is opened (both included in the Office container along with OneDrive data). We cannot extract any logs because the system locks up completely and is only recovereable booting back to the gold Citrix PVS image.

MS Support is non existent on this  Had a support call logged for weeks with no progress.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:07 PM

All replies

• Same issue here (not using Citrix). Servers crash on login. I got a response for 1 day from MS support and now they have gone dark.
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Same issue with Windows 2019 / Citirx 1909

Rollback to the previous version.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Finally had a call with an MS support rep yesterday...

Was advised that there is a known issue with the newest 2.9.7205 version of FSLogix causing a "Dead Hang"...   It is "supposed" to be fixed in the next release which is due imminently, but they were unable to confirm exactly when it will arrive...

MS are not advising any of their customers to go to 2.9.7205 and advise that we should stick with 2.9.7117 until the next release.

Quite why this rather fundamental "known issue" isn't documented anywhere by MS online that I can find, nor the broken version hasnt been pulled,  I dont know.  Would have saved me hours of reconfiguration and running it through test environments...  :-(

Anyway  -just a case of waiting for a new version to come out and see if that resolves.

• Proposed as answer by Andy202a Friday, November 8, 2019 9:38 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Same here.. waiting for the broken version 2.9.7205 to be pulled since the day it was released, and it was never acknowledged that there is something fundamentally wrong with it. In my case the VDI sessions die when I launch any Office 365 ProPlus 1808 application on W10 1809.
    • Edited by KZebergs Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:14 PM added version number
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Same issue here, servers just randomly become deadlocked and I need to do a hard reset, but this is only after a couple of users logon. When you're alone on the server everything seems fine.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi All,

I have been banging my head on this issue now for a few weeks, however, I can't find a previous version to download, has anyone got a download link?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:38 AM
  • This should be the previous 2.9.7117 version....

https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/B/5/0B58379E-7A4A-4F1C-B5AD-FCB8AD19E687/FSLogix_Apps_2.9.7117.27413.zip

Microsoft support have advised me that the new version is at Release Candidate stage and it should be released with full Release Notes within a couple of days

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:48 PM
  • This should be the previous 2.9.7117 version....

https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/B/5/0B58379E-7A4A-4F1C-B5AD-FCB8AD19E687/FSLogix_Apps_2.9.7117.27413.zip

Microsoft support have advised me that the new version is at Release Candidate stage and it should be released with full Release Notes within a couple of days

Great, I'll wait a few weeks though before jumping on it :)

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Shouldn't FSL have gotten better under MS's leadership being that they have unlimited resources!  I swear this product just seems to get worse by the day and support is no where to found.  Lord I wish Kevin wasn't forced to sell the company.  
    Friday, November 15, 2019 11:39 PM
  • Regrettably there was a regression in the 1909 FSLogix release.  We only received a few reports of it to engineering, and it should only be an issue if there are applications on the system that rely heavily on directory change notifications.  Because of this we have not thought it was necessary to  pull down the 1909 build.  Many have been using it successfully, and it contained many good fixes and updates.  The new hotfix build has now been released, but due to this regression, and to ensure a higher level of quality moving forward we are adopting a more staged release model for these new versions, and working with some early adopters before a wide distribution.  We have however told support to give the build to anyone currently experiencing this issue.  If you need access to this build I would recommend that you create a support ticket and let them know that you are hitting the 1909 deadlock issue, and they should be able to get you a link to the new version.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update. Does new build address other issues or is it only bug fix for 1909 deadlock?
    Can you also push to address documentation quality? 
    For example, Assingment Types (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/application-masking-users-groups-ht) document is absolutely useless. Some types are obvious in the way they work, but others are just not explained.
    How to use process assingment?

Thanks, David

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Regrettably there was a regression in the 1909 FSLogix release.  We only received a few reports of it to engineering, and it should only be an issue if there are applications on the system that rely heavily on directory change notifications.  Because of this we have not thought it was necessary to  pull down the 1909 build.  Many have been using it successfully, and it contained many good fixes and updates.  The new hotfix build has now been released, but due to this regression, and to ensure a higher level of quality moving forward we are adopting a more staged release model for these new versions, and working with some early adopters before a wide distribution.  We have however told support to give the build to anyone currently experiencing this issue.  If you need access to this build I would recommend that you create a support ticket and let them know that you are hitting the 1909 deadlock issue, and they should be able to get you a link to the new version.

Any way a link to this hotfix could be posted on this forum? 

Thanks,

Fil

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update. Does new build address other issues or is it only bug fix for 1909 deadlock?
    Can you also push to address documentation quality? 
    For example, Assingment Types (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/application-masking-users-groups-ht) document is absolutely useless. Some types are obvious in the way they work, but others are just not explained.
    How to use process assingment?

Thanks, David

The hotfix contains 2 fixes.  One for a deadlock in directory notifications, and another for a compatibility issue that with some of the new OneDrive features.  In some rare cases OneDrive files could appear with a timestamp from 1980, and appear to be 0 bytes.  Those who hit this issue would have to revert the file version in OneDrive to get the correct data back.  The Assignment code has not change in awhile.  We do have the ability update the product documentation outside of the release cycle if needed.  I will pass your feedback along to the docs team, and we can work on improving to documentation.  If you have any specific about any of the assignment types I am happy to answer those questions for you.

The process assignment is used by specifying the path to the executable that you would like the rule(s) to apply to.  During process creation we will read this path, and mark whether the rule should apply or not based on your assignment file.  If you check the box to apply to children then we will also apply the rule in the same way to any process that the indicated process starts.  So for example.  If I were to add a rule assignment for c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and children, and mark that rule as apply then the rules would take effect for any cmd.exe process that I ran.  If I had a hiding rule, and I started notepad from cmd.exe then the rule would also apply to that notepad process.

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Monday, November 18, 2019 8:00 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Any way a link to this hotfix could be posted on this forum? 

Thanks,

Fil

I will reach out to our Product Management group and see what can be done.  Once they are through with early adopters program  we can post it here for sure, but I am assuming you are looking for a way to get it sooner without the need to open a support ticket.
    Monday, November 18, 2019 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Brian, yes that's correct if we could get it without the need to open a support ticket, that would be awsome.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Thanks Brian, yes that's correct if we could get it without the need to open a support ticket, that would be awsome.
    This feedback has been passed along.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:05 PM