none
Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and/or Micrsoft.net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to clean up my laptop as it is running a bit slow and noticed I have both these versions of Microsoft.NET Framework.  I tried removing Framework 2.0 but got a message to say that it was needed to support some components with the link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91126.  Following that, I came to information about Framework 3.0 but no information to help me.  Can anyone advise on whether I need both? Are components of 2.0 used by 3.0? How to sort this out?  I am not a developer and I have no idea how/when I managed to get to both these versions (probably hit a wrong button or made an inappropriate selection when seeking upgrades for my microsoft software).

Thanks

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• To help explain where you got .NET framework 2.0 and the extension, 3.0, we'd have to know what version of Windows you are using. For example, if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, the frameworks you cite came as part of the OS (plus a second extention to 2.0, .NET 3.5 in the case of Windows 7).

If you have Windows XP, the .NET Frameworks were probably installed to support applications you have installed. A lot of Windows software requires the managed environment provided by the .NET Framework, and if you remove the .NET Framework, the software that needs it will no longer function.

Please remember that .NET 3.0 is an extension of 2.0, not a complete framework. So, if you remove 2.0, 3.0 will go as well.

It is very unlikely that the framework you have is responsible for the slow performance you are seeing, and if you remove it, you are likely to have much worse problems than slow performance.

• Marked as answer by francesmur Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:20 PM

All replies

• To help explain where you got .NET framework 2.0 and the extension, 3.0, we'd have to know what version of Windows you are using. For example, if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, the frameworks you cite came as part of the OS (plus a second extention to 2.0, .NET 3.5 in the case of Windows 7).

If you have Windows XP, the .NET Frameworks were probably installed to support applications you have installed. A lot of Windows software requires the managed environment provided by the .NET Framework, and if you remove the .NET Framework, the software that needs it will no longer function.

Please remember that .NET 3.0 is an extension of 2.0, not a complete framework. So, if you remove 2.0, 3.0 will go as well.

It is very unlikely that the framework you have is responsible for the slow performance you are seeing, and if you remove it, you are likely to have much worse problems than slow performance.

• Marked as answer by francesmur Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:20 PM
  • I came here to ask the same question.  But with your answer, I have a new question.  If I download the new 4.0, will it replace the 2.0/3.0 versions, or should I just leave it as is?  I have XP on an HP mini.  It has 15GB w/ 12 of it being used. 
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Thanks very much for that.  I have an (almost) 4 year old HP laptop which I got new and the operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.  I will leave the .NET stuff alone (especially as I will be replacing this laptop soon).
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:52 AM
  • 4.0 is a separate complete framework, and will not replace 2.0/3.0/3.5. If you install it, it will be on your machine in addition to currently installed frameworks.

If you are not a developer needing to target 4.0, I can't imagine why you'd want to install it. If you decide to install an application that needs 4.0, that application's installer will also install the needed framework.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Thank you!! 
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I only use my computer for the internet, the occasional download and storing my photos and videos so would removing the net framework service packs have any detrimental effects bearing this in mind?

Ta Mark

Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Again, if you use Windows software that needs a.NET environment, you must have the correct .NET Framework version(s) installed or that software will not work.

You say "I only use my computer for the internet", so you probably use a web browser, email client, a media player, etc. Depending on the actual applicatons, they probably use .NET.

Removing service packs can lead to "interesting times" (refer to the old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times"). For example, trying to remove a SP from .NET 2.0 can have bad effects on 3.0 and 3.5. Why? Because 3.0 and 3.5 are not full frameworks. They are extensions of (and dependent on) 2.0.

So, remove AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:14 PM