Starting a new project, but need a push in the right direction. RRS feed

• Question

• User2004107034 posted

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here. I've created simple websites using .Net Core/Entity Framework, Vue.js, and restful API calls.  I picked up a project to make in the next 5 months.

Project is a web-application for the monthly ranking of games, and it goes something like this:

• Each user selects a country and nominates a game for their country.
    • Users then vote for their favorite game for the country they selected at the start.
    • A while passes and a game is chosen as a winner for each country.
    • Users then vote for their favorite game from the pool of winners from the first round.
    • The global winner is chosen and the cycle resets.
    • Games that won the first round and represent the winning game of that country are saved in the database for users to browse later on.

I've done a little bit of investigating and decided on using .Net Core/Entity Framework as my backend, Vue.js as my frontend framework, and Digital Ocean as my hosting provider. Not sure if those are the best technologies to use but those are the ones I'm most familiar with, also Digital Ocean seems pretty cheap and easy to use. Now that you have some context I'll ask 2 "questions":

1. As I'm making a pretty elaborate web-app I know I have to use best practices and consider everything. Where should I look to get the information about the best practices to use, such as: using a repository when accessing the database instead of accessing it directly from controllers, dependency injection, when to use which access modifiers, what plugins to consider using, where to store my JWT token(cookie?)... etc.

2. I've never deployed a web-application and I'm a total newbie in that regard. I wanted to ask is there a deployment tutorial for a .Net Core app.  I'd like to know more about the ins and outs of deployment, what should I install, off the top of my head I know I need: .Net CLI, Vue CLI, node_something... Also how to implement the database on that Digital Ocean server? Is using SQLite stupid? I'd like to know more stuff like using services in the ubuntu environment so my web app starts on startup in case of downtime.

I'm not looking to get all this information here, but to get pushed in the right direction .

Thank you for reading!

Thursday, January 21, 2021 2:02 PM

All replies