What happens when SQL Azure DB is bigger than 10 GB? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SQL Azure, but quite familar with SQL development.  The free version allows up to 1 GB and the business version allows up to 10 GB, which is $x.  What if the DB needs to go higher than that?  First is that possible? Second, if it is, what is the foreseen pricing structure? 

Thanks for your time.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hi there,
    You can find the details of the behavior here;  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336245.aspx
    In this release, SQL Azure provides two database sizes: 1 GB (Web Edition) or 10 GB (Business Edition). If the size of your database reaches its MAXSIZE, you will receive an error code 40544. When this happens, you cannot insert or update data, rebuild indexes, and create new objects, such as tables, stored procedures, views, and functions. However, you can still read and delete data, truncate tables, and drop tables and indexes. If you remove some data to free up your storage space, there can be as much as a fifteen-minute delay before you can insert new data.

Thanks
    -cihan
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:53 AM
  • each product has it's space. SQL Azure supports all the relational and transactional data access you know from your local SQL server, while Table storage gives you more flexibility and at this time much more storage space for less money. Otherwise Table storage lacks transactions, and can only index on partition key and row key columns. If you need a lot of search functionality on different fields that might be an issue. Additionally for Table storage you also get charged for storage transactions (read, write, update). Althoug a low amount, that may sum up at the end of the month.
    • Marked as answer by Snoopy1221 Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi there,
    You can find the details of the behavior here;  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336245.aspx
    In this release, SQL Azure provides two database sizes: 1 GB (Web Edition) or 10 GB (Business Edition). If the size of your database reaches its MAXSIZE, you will receive an error code 40544. When this happens, you cannot insert or update data, rebuild indexes, and create new objects, such as tables, stored procedures, views, and functions. However, you can still read and delete data, truncate tables, and drop tables and indexes. If you remove some data to free up your storage space, there can be as much as a fifteen-minute delay before you can insert new data.

Thanks
    -cihan
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Wrong answer.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Currently it is upto a maximum of 10GB (Business Edition). This is 1 of the 2 models available for the enterprises.

Maybe in due course of time this size might be increased, but if your present requirement is more than 10GB data for sure, it is better to have the SQL Server 2008 version.
    BR, PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:24 AM
  • if more than 10GB needed, partioning the data will be a more than suitable way to deal with and still have the data hosted on Azure.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I'm trying to decide whether Windows Azure Table Storage is a better path to go and if I need to acquire in-depth knowledge on it.  I have watched the "Learning" videos on Channel9, etc. so I understand the concepts of storing Table, Blob, and Queues.  It looks like this will give me more room to store, than the existing SQL Azure set up.  Agree?
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:14 PM
  • each product has it's space. SQL Azure supports all the relational and transactional data access you know from your local SQL server, while Table storage gives you more flexibility and at this time much more storage space for less money. Otherwise Table storage lacks transactions, and can only index on partition key and row key columns. If you need a lot of search functionality on different fields that might be an issue. Additionally for Table storage you also get charged for storage transactions (read, write, update). Althoug a low amount, that may sum up at the end of the month.
    • Marked as answer by Snoopy1221 Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Hi there,
    In this release, SQL Azure provides two database sizes: 1 GB (Web Edition) or 10 GB (Business Edition). If the size of your database reaches its MAXSIZE, you will receive an error codec 40544. When this happens, you cannot insert or update data, rebuild indexes, and create new objects, such as tables, stored procedures, views, and functions. However, you can still read and delete data, truncate tables, and drop tables and indexes. If you remove some data to free up your storage space, there can be as much as a fifteen-minute delay before you can insert new data.

Thanks
    -cihan

I'm a beginner, Now I have a more clear idea about it.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:38 AM