VS2005 remote debugging 'firewall issue' RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to remotely debug a C# WinForms app deployed in a test environment.

The target platform is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Citrix server, which has been setup to run the remote debug monitor (msvsmon.exe), as described in the VS/MSDN help (e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t(v=VS.80).aspx).

The source platform is a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM, which is setup with the Visual Studio 2005 development environment configured to run the app in debug mode on the target platform, as described in the VS/MSDN help.

The firewall has apparently been altered to allow DCOM via TCP port 135, also as described in the VS/MSDN help.

I can run the remote debug monitor and get the UI displayed fine. When I try to start a debug session on the source platform after a pause I get an error message saying "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging. The Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor on the remote computer cannot connect to the local computer. A firewall may be preventing communication via DCOM to the local computer. Please see Help for assistance.".  According to network admin drops are being logged on various ports between the two platforms; the specific ports being blocked vary each time I try to run a debug session.

Can anyone tell me how to fix the ports that seem to be being used here so that the firewall can be adapted to open them?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:50 AM

Answers