Will XP mode be supported in Windows Developer Preview?

Answers

• Windows VPC cannot be installed in the developers preview as is and I
    have no idea is XP Mode would be licensed for running under the
    developers preview.

You can run XP in a Hyper-V VM running under the preview though...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:21 AM

All replies

• They can't release such information yet. Anyway, XP support is stopping soon, so don't count on it I guess.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Windows VPC cannot be installed in the developers preview as is and I
    have no idea is XP Mode would be licensed for running under the
    developers preview.

You can run XP in a Hyper-V VM running under the preview though...

Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:21 AM
  • If you plan to install XP mode to solve compatiblity issue, then I suggest to test and run different applications or the one that has compatiblity problem in Windows 8 and if you see any error or issues please post here, since it is pre-Beta of Windows 8 there are still time to resolve compatiblity issues and it is better idea that virtualize therm.

If you want to use XP mode for other purposes , please let us know. The main goal of XP mode was a tempory way to handle compatiblity issue , but in case of compatiblity it must resolve in correct way that is resolve compatiblity by update or upgrade software.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:28 AM
  • If you want to use XP mode for other purposes , please let us know. The main goal of XP mode was a tempory way to handle compatiblity issue , but in case of compatiblity it must resolve in correct way that is resolve compatiblity by update or upgrade software.
    The main real advantage of XP mode was that it gave you a free XP license. In Windows 8 this license could be used in Hyper-V.

For people who are not interested in the Metro experience, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is going to be a hard sell, so I think it would be a mistake to take away the XP mode license.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:05 PM
  • I doubt Microsoft are ready to identify specific end-user features that might be available or in which SKUs they would be. However, Windows XP is very nearly at the end of it's extended support and as a result is therefore unlikely to be a viable option in the Windows 8 timeframe. If you still have applications that aren't supported under Windows 7, it's probably a wise idea to be investing now in a more long term plan than continuing to base it around XP mode.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:17 PM
  • >The main real advantage of XP mode was that it gave you a free XP license.

For us it's used for apps that cannot run in Windows 7, period.  And
    it'll be many years before it'll be cheaper to rewrite the app than to
    keep older hardware on the job. 

XP Mode with Windows VPC has the seamless app capability which is VERY
    nice to use.  It's not impossible to make Hyper-V do the same thing
    but I'll be surprised if they go that way. (I hope)

Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:42 PM
  • >It's not impossible to make Hyper-V do the same thing but I'll be surprised if they go that way. (I hope)

That sounds wrong -- I meant I hope they do go that way.

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:20 AM