none
What are people using (or planning to use) containers for? RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious as to what people are using (or planning to use) containers for.

I'm personally still trying to find a good use for one, something that's worth going this route for. I work in infrastructure and am not a developer so things like IIS, ASP etc are not really my area of expertise.

I tried to use containers for running some powershell scripts that queried the domain but I could not get these to work (and I don't think they will ) so still looking for that "killer app" so to speak for something that I could turn round and say , this is a really good use for them.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:03 PM

All replies

• The hope is that I can use them for some services I'm writing. Probably with one container per service. It will be nice to be able to use docker-compose to spin up a whole network of our services, redis instances, and databases. As a QA, this its super nice to just spin up a whole application network if I want to on my local or any box for that matter.

As for your domain question, windows containers (nanoserver and windowsservercore) do not support joining domains. The recommended solution is to use a gMSA on the host machine.

• Edited by Matt Bowser Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:42 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:40 PM
  • I'm hoping to use them in automated builds for dev / test. I plan on using SQL Server as a docker image and then creating a new image when deploying changes to a database so I can run unit tests on them, before destroying them.

Workflow would be something like:

• Push SSDT database changes to git (feature branch)
    • Trigger a build on the build server
    • Create SQL Server container
    • Run script of current production schema (checked out from master branch of database project)
    • Create test data
    • Deploy database changes to schema
    • Run unit tests
    • Destroy container

Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:27 PM