Authenticate from standalone server to SQL Server 2005 with Windows Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Just wondering, is it possible to authenticate and connect to a SQL Server 2005 with Windows Authentication mode from a standalone server?

The SQL Server is joined a domain.

I have access to the connection string the service application uses, so I may modify it if there is a way around or is the solution to move the server to the same domain (or a trusted domain) as the SQL Server?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:05 AM

Answers

• Hi

I am not 100% sure but I think if you create a local account on the standalone server using the same username and password as a valid (domain) user and pass this username/password in the connection string it might work. Otherwise you would probably have to create two local users (one on the SQL Server and one on the standalone server) with the same username/password and use this. Obviously you would have to give this new local account the access rights needed in SQL Server.

As a further source of information you might look for people trying to access SQL Server without Kerberos delegation (meaning using NTML). I think they run into a similar problem.

Sorry I cannot provide more accurate information but I do not have a suitable testing environment at hand.

Kind regards
    scherand
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:14 AM