how to use Excel features in production server (SSIS) without installing MS Office because of security threat RRS feed

• Question

• User-195799625 posted

i would like to use Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll interop in production server but network guys can not install a MS Office in Production DB server because of security risk and all. 

I have to import Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel interop in one my control of SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services). Pls let me know the alternative to use Excel without installing a MS office.

I tried to register in Production server Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll but it is throwing an error. If i can register the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll DLL my problem could be solved. But it is throwing an error even though i tried regasm and regsvr32 as well.

Friday, December 3, 2010 12:53 PM

All replies

• User32394187 posted

i don't think that you can use excel features without installing MS office because you need to add COM referenece to your project (microsoft excel application 12.0 i think) which won't be availble unless you have installed MS office.

Another solution, you can try using aspose.cell, a component working the same way as excel which does not work as excel since excel use windows automation and aspose does not.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 4:31 AM
  • User-525215917 posted

Simplest solution for you is to provide Excel data to SSIS as CSV (comma separated value) files. Simple plain-text files can be easily moved over network and processed by SSIS without any problems.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 11:45 AM
  • User-195799625 posted

Thank You but Excel is user friendly and user can do the calculations too. So we need to use Excel.

Could you pls suggest me any alternative to use in Prod? 

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:49 PM
  • User-525215917 posted

Users can save Excel documents very easily to CSV. You can even write script that automaticaly makes conversions and puts CSV files where SSIS can find them. The other option is maybe trying to do something wilth OpenXML libraries (not sure how well this scenario is supported by tools).

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:32 AM