none
Call Logging/Statistics System RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I come to these forums hoping that somebody will be able to point me in the right direction of how I might go about solving my particular problem. I have very little knowledge of the related technologies (although I do have plenty of programming experience), and so I am looking for a starting point to build on.

My company has a small call centre which uses a Splicecom maximiser phone system. We would like to implement some sort of call management call logging system, which will access the logging information which is available from a telnet port and transfer this into a database. Obviously this will require me being able to manipulate the data and have a way of accessing it from the port on the splicecom hardware. My first question would be how I would go about doing this? What programming language would you reccomend to do the manipulation and is there anywhere I can find details of how I can access the logging data? I apologise for the vague description, but I really have very little knowledge of this technology, and could do with a resource to find out more info.

Eventually, when I have developed the software to maintain the logging data in a database I have designed, I will develop a piece of software to show major statistics, such as no. of calls answered and total no. of calls etc. I am not to worried about this, as it should be fairly straight forward.

Also if there is somewhere in the forum that you think this post is better suited, I shall post it there.

Thanks very much for your time, in advance.

Kind regards,

Andrew Black

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:42 AM

All replies

• I'd recomend to start from HIS (Host Integration Server) to see which feature may help u.

Secondary, do u know the format of data which are available for u over telnet? in the best case you need to look when the new data will come and handle these data. Are you able to download the data via telnet just right now?

It the worst case u should hook the process of writing call data by your system and manage them directly, but there need to be some investigation to understand the whole process.

Now about the languages: in best case  just .NET/Java if you needn't realise the third case with hook where you need to use assembler

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:03 PM
  • You're heading for quite a challenge unless you can figure out how to get the data from the server in an automatic way.

Some years ago I wrote a system that fits your requirement, alas it was for a Nortel Meridian Max call centre server. At least it had the option of generating reports hourly and writing these to a folder, which I then processed using Visual Basic for upload into an Access database.

I'm not familiar with Splicecom, but I'm thinking it ought to have the option of generating reports automatically?

Go for C#, but nothing stops you from using good ol' Visual Basic unless you have to write some code that communicates at telnet-level level with the PABX.

Write a windows service that processes text dumps, and imports these into a SQL Server database.

And have your clients interact with your system using ASP.NET. For reporting you can probably use Crystal but it doesn't matter much, reports should easy if you've thought out the database structure properly.

And from there it's pretty straightforward. Good luck.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 12:58 PM
  • You will also need to consider how you are going to parse the data you get out. If it is a Fixed width, CSV or XML format, you life is easy. But if it is some EDI standard - you might need to consider buying a parser.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:18 PM
  • Hi Andy

Did you get any answers to this in the end? I am consider doing something very similar myself so would find any tips useful.

Thanks Steve
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:24 PM