Clickonce and webapp deployment in Windows server 2008 R2 - Frontpage server extension RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

We have a Windows server 2003 32 bit server in which we have hosted clickonce applications and webservices. We are upgrading our server to Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit. When i downloaded the FPSE extensions for IIS 7.5, they said there is an affordable licence for it.

I remeber we enabled the Frontpage server extensions in Windows server 2003 using the OS cd. MY questions are..

1) The Frontpage server extension for Windows 2003 was free..? Is it chargeable only for Windows server 2008 R2..?

2) How to deploy clickonce without  Frontpage server extensions...?

Thank you.

• Moved by Ego Jiang Friday, July 27, 2012 5:58 AM it is a winform issue (From:Visual Studio Extensibility)
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:51 AM

Answers

• Hi JothiPrasad,

As the MSDN document mentioned, FrontPage Server Extensions from Microsoft is required for publishing applications to a Windows Web server that uses HTTP.

By default, Windows Server does not have FrontPage Server Extensions installed. If you want to use Visual Studio to publish to a Windows Server Web server that uses HTTP with FrontPage Server Extensions, you must install FrontPage Server Extensions first. You can perform the installation by using the Manage Your Server administration tool in Windows Server.

I'm not sure if FrontPage Server Extensions  is free or not, you might can get answer from the Windows Answers forum or the Windows Server TechNet Forum.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Bob Wu-MT Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:11 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi JothiPrasad,

From what I understand, you can't install FPSE on a Windows Server 2008 running IIS 7.5.

To publish your ClickOnce application, you're going to want to use FTP instead lf HTTP. So your Publishing File Location will look something like this:

ftp://myserver.mycompany.com/myapp

and your Installation URL will be http and look something like this:

http://myserver.mycompany.com/myapp/

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi JothiPrasad,

As the MSDN document mentioned, FrontPage Server Extensions from Microsoft is required for publishing applications to a Windows Web server that uses HTTP.

By default, Windows Server does not have FrontPage Server Extensions installed. If you want to use Visual Studio to publish to a Windows Server Web server that uses HTTP with FrontPage Server Extensions, you must install FrontPage Server Extensions first. You can perform the installation by using the Manage Your Server administration tool in Windows Server.

I'm not sure if FrontPage Server Extensions  is free or not, you might can get answer from the Windows Answers forum or the Windows Server TechNet Forum.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi JothiPrasad,

From what I understand, you can't install FPSE on a Windows Server 2008 running IIS 7.5.

To publish your ClickOnce application, you're going to want to use FTP instead lf HTTP. So your Publishing File Location will look something like this:

ftp://myserver.mycompany.com/myapp

and your Installation URL will be http and look something like this:

http://myserver.mycompany.com/myapp/

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Hi Robin,

May I know whether publishing using ftp instead of Http will resolve the Frontpage server extensions licence problem in Windows server 2008 R2 Environment ?

If yes, Why FPSE taking care of Http alone not ftp?

Thanks in Advance and waiting for your reply.

Omprakash S

Consultant

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:02 AM