none
I know C#, Employer wants VB.NET, will I struggle? RRS feed

• Question

• I've developed using C#.NET for 4 years in both Desktop and Web applications. I have worked very lightly with VB6.

I have a second interview for a job this week, and I'm 90% sure they will make an offer. However they code using VB.NET only. The hiring IT manager was not concerned that I don't know the VB.NET syntax, and was confident that I could transition easily. I am nervous that I will struggle, and the existing VB.NET developers there will not be pleased to work with me.

For consistency, he did not want to mix C# and VB in the same project.

This might even be risky, if I am under performing - I may be let go early. Thoughts anyone? Has anyone made a similar transition?
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:52 PM

Answers

• Having gone from C to VB.Net and back to C# myself...  All I can say from my experiences is - bing everything you don't immediately know, even if you think it's on the tip of your tongue.  VB.Net is just as extensive as C#, but there were quite a few places where I was trying to do more than what was needed because VB.Net wants to do some things for you implicitly.

Beyond that, no - I don't think you'll have a very rough time picking it up.
    • Marked as answer by KurtasB Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to make decision for yourself.

Do you remember the day when you write your first line of C# code? 4 years passed, you have became an experienced C# developer.

Now, you are going to write the first line of VB.NET code, trust yourself, it won't be more difficult than the day 4 years ago, your career will benefit a lot from your new skills:)

Risk always come with opportunity, in my opinion, if  there is a chance of success, and the worst result is acceptable, why not?

Nevertheless, above is just some suggestion, you have to make decision yourself, good luck!

Here is some articles talking about C# vs VB.NET:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/vbnet_c__difference.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Visual_Basic_.NET

http://improvingsoftware.com/2009/04/19/a-managers-retrospective-on-the-c-versus-vbnet-decision/

Thanks,

Eric

Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Having gone from C to VB.Net and back to C# myself...  All I can say from my experiences is - bing everything you don't immediately know, even if you think it's on the tip of your tongue.  VB.Net is just as extensive as C#, but there were quite a few places where I was trying to do more than what was needed because VB.Net wants to do some things for you implicitly.

Beyond that, no - I don't think you'll have a very rough time picking it up.
    • Marked as answer by KurtasB Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Great, thanks for the links and notes. I don't know who to mark as answer!  I'll give it to syntaxeater since he has less points
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:44 PM
  • C# to Vb.NET should be easy, its the other way round that takes a bit getting used to. 
    Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if it answers your question]
    blog.ganeshzone.net
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Thank you, but just as note - you are able to mark multiple replies to your question as answers.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:31 PM
  • This site will become your friend...gosh knows it was for me on a contract I had four years ago where I had to do VB:  VB.Net and C# Comparison it has side by side syntax which you can easily convert.

The point is though, being a well balanced programmer who knows when to use the right language in the right situation will not be bad thing. I went from being a C/C++/Perl programmer to a C#/Powershell (still learnign PS) programmer and at some point we all will be going to the next thing after C#....so being able to pick up languages is not a bad thing.

Take the job, for I surmise where you live jobs may be scarce, hence a C# job is not available. In a year or so, look for a new job, or go into management, and dictate C#. ;-)

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:39 PM