none
How to manage test suites as requirements change RRS feed

• Question

• Newb alert; I recently joined the team that supports TFS, MTM, and ALM processes at my organization. I'm trying to get an answer for one of our QA users, relating to the management of test suites as requirements are added over time.

The explicit question I was asked was: Is there any way to expose "SuitePath" in the Field drop-down of the Add requirements query builder? I think the short answer is "no", since SuitePath is not actually part of the Requirement work item type definition (or any other work items for that matter).

He's trying to find a way to search for requirements which were submitted since the test suite was created. Some way to identify requirements that aren't yet associated with a test suite.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tod Mahony

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• There is no straightforward way of achieving this. You would need to query this information indirectly - like using created date or assigned to etc. fields of user stories.
    • Marked as answer by hibtone Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi Tod,

Thank you for your post.

Seems the QA guys want to confirm whether all requirements have test suite/test pln associate with them for not miss any test work. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

You need to create a API to achieve that. There is two work need contained in the API. First, do all requirements associate with test cases? Second, do all test cases associate with test plans/test suites?

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:44 AM

All replies

• There is no straightforward way of achieving this. You would need to query this information indirectly - like using created date or assigned to etc. fields of user stories.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi Tod,

Thank you for your post.

Seems the QA guys want to confirm whether all requirements have test suite/test pln associate with them for not miss any test work. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

You need to create a API to achieve that. There is two work need contained in the API. First, do all requirements associate with test cases? Second, do all test cases associate with test plans/test suites?

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Thanks for the quick answer! That's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Thank you Lily--can you direct me to an article or documentation on creating such an API? Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hi Tod,

Articles for you to refer:

Extending Team Foundation, You can extend Team Foundation by using its client object model on the client computers or the server object model on the application tier, and you can customize your build process by using the build process object model on the build machine.

Tarun Arora's blog, tarun have list same sample of TFS API.

Regards,Tarun Arora

Tarun Arora

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:41 AM