deleted TemporaryKey.pfx can I generate a new one? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

VS 2008 3.5

I was deleting some files from my application and I deleted the TemporaryKey.pfx. That was a few weeks ago, and since then I have updated my application. However, I can still publish and run my application using clickOnce.

However, I think that I need this and wonder if there was a way to create a new one. I still have my backup TemporaryKey.pfx which I deleted. However, as that was a few weeks ago and my application has been updated since then.

Can I go to Add existing item | browse to TemporaryKey.pfx and add it? or can I generate a new one?

Many thanks,

Steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:21 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can generate a new one. Or you can browse to the old one and use it, or if you have the pfx file, copy it back to the folder with the main project and point to it there. Any of those will work.

Since you are using VS2008, creating a new certificate shouldn't create a problem for your users.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can generate a new one. Or you can browse to the old one and use it, or if you have the pfx file, copy it back to the folder with the main project and point to it there. Any of those will work.

Since you are using VS2008, creating a new certificate shouldn't create a problem for your users.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Hi Robin,

I'm using VS 2010, I have one similar occurrence where I have deleted the TemporaryKey.pfx. Now in order to run my project I get 2 errors.

Error 1 Cannot import the following key file: . The key file may be password protected. To correct this, try to import the certificate again or import the certificate manually into the current user’s personal certificate store. Project1

Error 2 Importing key file "Project1_TemporaryKey.pfx" was canceled. project1

I want to create a new key as I dont have the backup. please help me fix this.

Thanks,
    mjnms

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:04 PM
  • I've answered your question in the new thread you started.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I have the same problem. Please share if you could find solution.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 3:49 AM