none
Email address appears as some_name@corp.com RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post my question and somebody could explain to me - in plain English - the meaning of domain name "corp.com".
    We have software that processes Outlook mailboxes and extracts metadata for mail items. Some of these items have <From> field populated with something like that "some_name@corp.com".
    So, we need to know what this "corp.com" stands for as our clients really concerned about that.
    By the way, when addresses extracted in X.400 format, they would read like this:
    some_name </O=CORP/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=some_name>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, sglabs,

Thanks for your question.  One of our team members will work on it and respond soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:03 PM
  • sglabs,

This is specific to X.400 Addressing and is covered by X.400 RFCs.

This is the Organization Name.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by King Salemno Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:57 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi King Salemno,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question about "@corp.com" showing in the email address of the sender. We know for sure that organization name is not "corp" and domain is not "corp.com" I guess there are situations - by design or due to error - when this "corp.com" appears in address. We would like to find out what kind of situations could make this happen. Is "corp.com" a default or generic name for domain in corporate environment? Does it appear when address can't be resolved?

If you or anyone else could shed some light on this, that would really help us.

Thank you.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:55 PM
  • sglabs,

This forum is for the support of the Open Specifications Documentation.

Your question does not seem related to this documentation set.

Your question is more suited for this forum: Exchange Admin. You should try reposting your question there for assistance.

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by King Salemno Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:31 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Thank you, King Salemno.

I guess I should try this, too. In my initial post I actually wasn't sure if that the right Forum.

Thank you for trying to help and have a great day.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:46 PM