open websites after adding them to source control. RRS feed

• Question

• We are new to using TFS and are having some trouble implementing it correctly. We have created a few projects and added our source to source control. Issue we are having is opening those webs up from source control so that we can make changes to them under the checkin/out policies.

I've tried opening them using the open from source control option but It never allows me to open anything.

I can use source control explorer and get latest copy, put it on my local machine but then nothing is under the lock. If I open the local copy in VS05, they are still not under the lock. I can check out/in through source control explorer but I am not able to create new files or anything this way.

There also seems to be a workspace mapping issue that shows up every so often. Could this be cause of the issue? How can it be remapped correctly?

Can someone give me a hand and/or point me to some materials that will help?

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:14 PM

Answers

• If I'm parsing you correctly, it sounds like the solution is already in source control - when you open it locally, you can make sure it is bound to source control with File -> Source Control -> Change Source Control, and then bind the solution and project(s) to source control, making sure they go to the right server and path.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:40 AM

All replies

• I'm going to add a little bit more info. Before we attmepted to start using TFS, we would develop locally then copy our sites to our development server to test. Onces that was fine it was moved to production. All our most up to date and working copies of apps were on our development server. So when creating a TFS project we would use the development copy as the first check in to source control. What we want to be able to do, is take the source control copy and check it out to our local machine to make changes and then check the files back in.

The person who orginally set up each tfs project can open them fine by opening it from development. CHanges can be made unclock lock and such there. We can not however figure out how to get it to the local machine and/or how to open up a project that I didnt create. Again opening from source control allows me to say where I want to save but it never allows me to open the TFS project, it just shows nothing in the folder where everything is, yet we know source control is not empty.

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Sorry, can this be moved to TFS general forum?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:20 PM
  • If I'm parsing you correctly, it sounds like the solution is already in source control - when you open it locally, you can make sure it is bound to source control with File -> Source Control -> Change Source Control, and then bind the solution and project(s) to source control, making sure they go to the right server and path.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:40 AM