none
Every app with Bing Maps control crashes - error 0xC0000409 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't run any application with Bing Maps control. I see the map in Designer (Visual Studio 2012 of course), but when I start the application (Debug, x86) it crashes just after loading (when splash screen disappear, the moment when map should appear).

Full screenshot.

A tried my own very simple project (just the maps control) and Dev Center samples. Nothing works. 

One line from Debug output:
    The program '[3704] MapStylesSample.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code -1073740791 (0xc0000409).

I have Windows 8 RP with all updates installed (there were some 4 important), and the latest version of Bing Maps SDK (1.0.20120520.0). I get the same error on my Windows 8 installed natively and on virtual machine (VirualBox).
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the dump file. From looking at it one of the resource files we rely on for data is missing or corrupt. Check Schema.ont in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs\Bing.Maps.Xaml\1.0\redist\commonconfiguration\neutral\Bing.Maps; it should be 1318 bytes. If it is not uninstall and reinstall the Bing Maps SDK. If it is there and the correct size then examine your resulting package to see if it gets placed there correctly; something may be going wrong with your build process.
    Monday, July 2, 2012 5:48 PM

All replies

• I just recorded a short video to show you how it's happening.

http://youtu.be/SHogclfbX1s

What I'm doing wrong? (there are some problems with the Designer, but it's not the point)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Can you go to Project settings|Debug and change the Debugger type to Mixed (Managed and Native) and run it again? When it breaks on the faulting exception go to Debug|Save Dump As, change the type to Minidump instead of Minidump with heap, save the file and zip it up and e-mail it to bingmapscontrols@hotmail.com?

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Hmm... there is no option 'Save Dump As' in VS 2012 Express... 

http://sdrv.ms/MA68Xo

OK, I just installed VS 2012 Pro and got this Dump file. 
    Friday, June 22, 2012 6:42 AM
  • 'Unhandled exception at 0x684ff0b7 (msvcr110.dll) in App3.exe: 0xC0000409: 0xc0000409.'

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Thanks for the dump file. From looking at it one of the resource files we rely on for data is missing or corrupt. Check Schema.ont in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs\Bing.Maps.Xaml\1.0\redist\commonconfiguration\neutral\Bing.Maps; it should be 1318 bytes. If it is not uninstall and reinstall the Bing Maps SDK. If it is there and the correct size then examine your resulting package to see if it gets placed there correctly; something may be going wrong with your build process.
    Monday, July 2, 2012 5:48 PM