none
Problem with installed 3.5 Framework RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi ppl,

    I installed Framework 3.5 (Full Package), which I got from microsoft download site, on a clients pc to support a windows service I have written to use on their site. To my knowledge it was a full release (Not CTP/Beta/RC). The clients PC is WinXP 2002 SP 2. The problem I encountered first was when attempting installutil of the service. It gave typeloadexception and told me to check the loader exceptions. All my references were in order and I had encountered this when I tested at my office. I rectified by installing this same package. I thought that the package must not have installed correctly and so ran it again. It completed and said installed successfully. I tried installutil again. This time I got configurationerrorsexception - The configuration system failed to initialise. This had a rollover effect which caused SQL Database service to stop functioning as well. I uninstalled 3.5, 3.0 (Gave an error stating that it wasn't installed), 2.0 SP1 (I wasn't sure if this was installed initially because the 2.0 config item did not appear in Control Panel\Admin Tools, although they were running the SQL 2005 and Management Studio). I downloaded and reinstalled 2.0. I manually started the database service and all was well. My problem now is, I need 3.5 on the machine but I don't want to have this problem again. Another thing, noone has the administrator password and so all work being done (install/uninstall) is done with another user in the administrators group (Not sure if this is a problem).

    I will check this post regularly so if you need additional info, please say so up here. I don't have easy access to the client site so verification/logcollector tools not really an option.

    Regards
    Jon
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:24 PM

Answers

  • Hi Jon,

    First to clarify the version dependency: when you install .NET Framework 3.5, the .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0 will be automatically installed - actually 3.5 depends on them.

    I believe to troubleshoot this problem, we need at least the call stack of the exception you're getting - so we will be able to know what component is in the way.

    I don't think you need the Administrator account itself to install the Framework and your service. Just an account in the Admin group will be enough.

    I suggest you install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (doesn't need 3.5 RTM installed first) and see if the problem is still there. In case you got an exception, let me know the detailed exception information. Otherwise it will be really hard to guess what's going wrong.

    Thanks,

    Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

    The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:05 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Jon,

    First to clarify the version dependency: when you install .NET Framework 3.5, the .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0 will be automatically installed - actually 3.5 depends on them.

    I believe to troubleshoot this problem, we need at least the call stack of the exception you're getting - so we will be able to know what component is in the way.

    I don't think you need the Administrator account itself to install the Framework and your service. Just an account in the Admin group will be enough.

    I suggest you install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (doesn't need 3.5 RTM installed first) and see if the problem is still there. In case you got an exception, let me know the detailed exception information. Otherwise it will be really hard to guess what's going wrong.

    Thanks,

    Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

    The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:05 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Jie

    I went to the client with the SP1 Full package and all installed fine. I installed my service, not with installutil itself, but by using a small app I wrote which calls the InstallHelper function on ManagedClassInstaller and that had no problems. All is well in the land. Thanks for your input.

    Regards,
    Jon
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:30 PM