Missing Toolbar Buttons - EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be missing the "Color" button on my Pictures toolbar as well as the "Show Layout Tool" option and the "Draw Layout Table" and "Draw Layout Cell" buttons on my Tables toolbar.  Is there something I can do to retrieve these buttons or gain access to these features?
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• The only solution I see if those are important to you is EW3. You are right, they are gone in EW4. As usual, "help" provides incorrect information. It shows the buttons still on the tables toolbar, although there are no longer links to the appropriate information. It also says you can right-click the table, select table properties, and enable layout tools, but of course you can't. Does anyone actually edit the "user guide"?

Jim

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• I checked Hutch and you're right. Those aren't on my tool bars either. Must have fallen by the wayside if they were there before. I usually have all tool bars turned off so their departure went unnoticed here.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:41 PM
  • The only solution I see if those are important to you is EW3. You are right, they are gone in EW4. As usual, "help" provides incorrect information. It shows the buttons still on the tables toolbar, although there are no longer links to the appropriate information. It also says you can right-click the table, select table properties, and enable layout tools, but of course you can't. Does anyone actually edit the "user guide"?

Jim

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Does anyone actually edit the "user guide"?
    Jim

If you make the developers do it, then the product will be delayed. If you make anyone else do it, then the documentation will be wrong. Kind of a tough issue. How is it that some of those open source projects have such reasonable documentation?
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:47 PM
  • "Does anyone actually edit the "user guide"?"

Oh, of course they do, don't be a silly. It's the guy who let Balendar control slip through (at least in EW3, don't know if it's in EW4 still--waiting for the MSDN release to upgrade).

;-)

And if they need anyone with outstanding proofing/editing skills, a degree in English, and a broad technical background, I know where they can find one...

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Bill, they caught that one! EW4 has a "Calendar control" topic. However, I just checked on the picture toolbar help, and it clearly shows the "Color" button even though it no longer exists.

Any time I search for something other than the most basic topic in the user guide it returns no results, or something unrelated to what I'm after. The only luck I have is by manually looking through the index until I find what I want. Then it often shows the exact text for which it found no results! Finally, adding another layer of frustration, it provides inaccurate information more often than not. I really like EW but the only reliable help I have is right here. The "user guide" could have been written by Douglas Adams.

Jim

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:53 PM
  • There are several places in EW4's help that don't match the reality.  Ditto with EW3. Updating help is something that definitely is spotty.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:34 PM