Win2003 Server with multiple NICs DNS problem RRS feed

• Question

•   I have a small sized network with 2 domain controllers which also double as Web Servers. They are both in the same domain and both of them have two NICs. The second NIC is used on both computers (along with two others) to tie them in a NLB cluster. These two domain controllers also are DNS servers and I'm having trouble configuring the DNS properly. Since both computers have 4 IP addresses (two configured on each NIC) the DNS Servers register a total of 8 entries for both which creates problems in the network. Since I'm new to Windows Server configuration and networking, I would like to know if there are any special considerations I should be aware of about my current network/dc/dns configuration.

I should note that I tried to disable the auto-registration on both servers for their NICs IP addresses (in the advanced section of the TCP/IP properties dialog) but even after manually deleting the entries from the DNS they keep reappearing.

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can offer about this subject.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:42 PM

All replies

• I'm having a simular problem on some Dell Blade servers. I'm setting one of the blades up as an AD server. The second NIC on that blade needs to be setup for a heartbeat between a failover pair. After setting up AD and testing DNS for resolution as soon as I enable the second card (which has no gateway or DNS entries, is set to not reqister with a DNS server and Netbios over tcpip is disabled) the DNS test resolution fails and if I ping the server name it resolves to the IP address of the second NIC. Also the NS record in DNS keeps adding the second NICs address back in.

Would greatly appreciate some help, it has our Network Engineer befuddled too.

Monday, May 8, 2006 9:42 PM
  • You might want to take a lot at "Using the multiple NICs of your File Server running Windows Server 2008 (and 2008 R2)" at http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/09/03/using-the-multiple-nics-of-your-file-server-running-windows-server-2008-and-2008-r2.aspx.

Not exactly the same role (the article is about file servers, not domain controllers), but you might get some ideas out of it...

Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:20 PM