none
Getting Started - I have data sets, need to figure out how to organize RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I am new to Access and am trying to understand the best way to arrange my data for relational-based queries. 

I have 50 counties that I want to organize a specific amount of criteria/questions to answer for each county -- they are broken up into 4 main buckets (political, technical, relational, and informational). Each bucket has 10-15 questions to answer, information to input, etc.

I am trying to figure out how to organize the 50 counties to be able to answer each question that lives within the 4 buckets and query the information across buckets and counties. IE I want to know which counties lean Democrat (political) AND that our company has a good relationship with (relational). OR Pull County X, Y, and Z and see what type of equipment they are using (technical) today and who their county supervisors are (informational). 

Any help on how to structure this in Access (start with a Table Design and add each county or add each bucket or add the criteria?) so I am not inputting a ton of data in a nonsensical fashion?

Thanks!!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Anne,

I imagine a structure with tables like:

tblCounties = stores county information

tblCategories = stores the bucket names (this will be a lookup table)

tblQuestions = stores all the questions regardless of bucket but should have a foreign key for the category/bucket

tblAnswers = stores all county answers with foreign key for the county and questions

You can query tblAnswers to gather information by category or county.

Hope it helps...

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Thank you so much for your fast reply .theDBguy! I will investigate foreign keys and then try this out, really appreciate it again. 

Anne

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi Anne,

You're welcome. May I recommend the resources presented here for you reference.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:46 PM