none
Deploying VSTO 2010 Excel Add-in to all users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a VSTO 2010 Excel Add-in which I am trying to deploy onto machines running Office 2010, to all users.

The Add-in is deployed via a VS Setup project, having followed the guide here -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff937654.aspx#Create

The required registry keys are defined user/Machine Hive. These are created correctly (in HKLU/M) whether installing just for the current user of for all uses. However the Add-in is only available in Excel when I install for the current user. When I install for all users, the Add-in is not available. I have tried running the Setup as Administrator but this does not make a difference.

What might I be missing? Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

• Ok, I think I have it working. My Add-in assembly was not signed. Now that is is signed, it seems to install correctly, when installing both for just the current user and all users.
    • Marked as answer by baltibob Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi baltibob,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

In theory, what you said will not happen if you don’t missed something or make mistake in it.

I would recommend you show your scenario step by step, let’s see whether we can find some in your steps. And would you please tell me whether it works fine on your develop machine( I means that you install your add-in via setup.exe file after clean your solution)?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Ok, this is what I have done.

I have created a VS Setup project, and added the as Primary Output, my Excel Add-in project. I have manually added the .vsto and .manifest file to the setup project. I have also added the registry settings (Description, FriendlyName, LoadBehavior and Manaifest (with | vstolocal) ) to User/Machine Hive /Software / Microsoft / Office / Excel / Addins / MyAddin.

Finally I remove from the detected dependenices the Office assemblies with the exception of the .NET Framework and Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll. I have set .NET 4 and the VSTO runtime as an installation pre-requisite.

I have tested the setup on a dev machine running Windows Server 2008 and also on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, with both x64 and x86 targeted. I have verified that the registry settings are correct for both x86 and x64 targets are correct, both when installing just for me and also for everyone.

I have also trusted the installed location of the Add-in within Excel.

When Installing for just me, the Add-in is installed and usable in Excel when both x86 and x64 is targeted. When I install for all users it is not installed in Excel  as the Add-ins tab is not available and I do not see it in the list of Installed Add-ins. When I  try and install it manually I get ".... Is not a valid Office Add-in".

I have also double checked that Office 2010 is being targeted - the Office.dll PIA is the one  in the Office14 directory.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Ok, I think I have it working. My Add-in assembly was not signed. Now that is is signed, it seems to install correctly, when installing both for just the current user and all users.
    • Marked as answer by baltibob Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hi baltibob,

I'm glad to see that you have solved it. Thanks for share your experience here.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:52 AM