none
External Content Type - Search Crawl Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a content source that is connected to an external data source. We have about 30,000 items and 30 columns in the external database table and we use BCS to pull the data. Every time I crawl the content source, it completes successfully. However, the display template that uses the managed properties populated by the crawl process are empty. Every 4th crawl succeeds and are able to display the search display template properly but the first 3 tries do not work. Crawl takes about 5 hours to finish.

What could cause the crawl to finish successfully but not populate the managed properties? Is it normal for the crawl process to take 5 hrs to crawl a single database table with 30,000 items and 30 columns? For example, I can view the crawl history and open a particular item and see its profile page successfully and it shows all the correct information. It's only when I use the search display template to display the information, it is empty. Following is a snippet of the display template.

ctx.CurrentItem.ProjectSearchName

• Edited by diffident Friday, March 31, 2017 8:15 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• For large number of items you need handle paging to ignore query timeout

Use the following url for example of paging:

http://moss-net4u.blogspot.com.eg/2013/09/sharepoint-2013-search-how-to-crawl.html

Tarek Yehia

Friday, March 31, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Are you implying that I need to write my own custom WCF service instead of using the OOTB read item and read list operations?
    Friday, March 31, 2017 5:28 PM
  • Any other pointers?
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Try to add properties in managed property section of service application. SharePoint crawl all properties but does not auto map all property. let me know if works.

http://blogs.perficient.com/microsoft/2011/06/map-a-crawled-property-to-managed-properties-fast-for-sharepoint-powershell/

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:25 PM