Load Balancing in BizTalk along with Sql Server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1) I have different BizTalk Servers installed on different machine. I want to configure those Servers with a single SQL Server. Such that all the BizTalk Servers use the same BizTalk Databases. How to proceed?

2) Can load balancing be achieved in this way? Is this a good approach for load balancing?

3) Can you suggest some good approaches and articles on Load Balancing in BizTalk.

Thanks.

Kunal G
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:42 PM

Answers

• ...is it possible to configure many BizTalk with the same SQL ? i.e.different BizTalk server using the same DB, e.g. the same BizTalkMgmtDb..

No, it is not possible. The BIzTalk database names are hardcoded.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk: History of one project architecture
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Kunal,

You can use BizTalk Server Configuration to add a server to a BizTalk group. You add additional servers to a BizTalk group to scale out your BizTalk Server environment. A server can only be associated with one BizTalk group. If a server already belongs to another group, you must first remove that server from its current group before you can add it to a new group. For reference see How to Add a Server to a Group . So you add each additional BizTalk instance to existing group. spreading load on BizTalk Server can be spread across mulitple instances (one can do all receiving of message, other processing and another sending). You basically spread load across host instance. Good resource(s) are BizTalk posters , this thread , and BizTalk availability . Bear mind that SQL server is not balanced or in a high availability mode (you need a form of clustering for that).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:57 PM
  • I don't know why you need to configure different Biztalk Server to the same database(I assume you mean different BizTalk server groups using the same DB, e.g. the same BizTalkMgmtDb), but that is not a supported scenario.

But you can configure different BizTalk groups to the same SQL Server instance with different database name. But there maybe potential DTS conflict for BAM and EDI.

I would recommend you configure different Biztalk groups to different SQL Server instances.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:14 PM
  • IMHO The best load balancing is the balancing before the Receive ports. It scales almost linear.

Say: messages routed to several identical independent "processing lines". 

-  Receive 1 - BizTalk1+SQL1 - Send1
    LB -  Receive 2 - BizTalk2+SQL2 - Send2
         - Receive 3 - BizTalk3+SQL3 - Send3

The "standard" scaling the BizTalk solutions is:

Receive A - BizTalk1+       - Send X
    Receive B - BizTalk2+SQL - Send Y
    Receive C - BizTalk3+      - Send Z
    where one SQL Server is always the bottleneck for scalability. Scalability is awful.

Balancing before the Receive ports cannot be implemented for many reasons. 

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Does that means only one SQL Server cannot be configured for with more than one BizTalk Server. i.e. say 3 BizTalk Servers configured with only one SQL Server. Is it possible?
    Kunal G
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

If you install BizTalk and configure it you have created a BizTalk group with one instance of BizTalk. If you install more BizTalk servers you can configure them by joining you previously created BizTalk group. For reference see How to Add a Server to a group . Still like Leonid said one SQL Server can be risky since it is the bottleneck for scalability and for availability it is better to have a SQL Cluster. If you look at scale-out configuration BizTalk poster it will be more clear to you.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:51 AM
  • ok.

So now I understand that one SQL Server can be risky and it is better to have a SQL Cluster and this shouldn't be done.

But is it possible to configure many BizTalk with the same SQL ? i.e.different BizTalk server using the same DB, e.g. the same BizTalkMgmtDb. I guess no. ( As in above post Xiao has said no to this scenario).

Kunal G
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:58 AM
  • ...is it possible to configure many BizTalk with the same SQL ? i.e.different BizTalk server using the same DB, e.g. the same BizTalkMgmtDb..

No, it is not possible. The BIzTalk database names are hardcoded.

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:43 PM