none
Storsimple and file server cluster design RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I want to setup a file server cluster using Storsimple. However, I would like to investigate if that is possible via HyperV. The reason that I want to use HyperV as an extra layer instead of 2 physical file servers is flexibility. I would think that performance would not be an issue. Below is the setup in the picture. Is this a scenario we can implement? The storage network is 1 Gbit iSCSI by the way.

Iam a little worried about the following:

1. Using shared VHDX for large amounts of user file data (5+ TB)

2. Performance: the hyperV layer is extra

3. Performance: Offloading of the OS disks to Azure (slowest tier of the Storsimple)

I was wondering what your opinions are. Any comment is welcome.

• Moved by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:53 AM Related to StorSimple
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:01 PM

All replies

• Using a shared 5 TB+ VHDX for larger amounts of user file data might be rather slow on 1 Gbe iSCSI network, especially depending on the total amount of VMs and workload type. Hyper-V performance is OK, should not be an issue and the performance impact of StorSimple slowest tier depends mainly on the amount of your hot data (working set). 
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:10 AM
  • Hello Taras,

Why could that be slow? Is that due to the fact that VHDX traffic could possibly be redirected IO or is that due to the speed of 1 Gbit and the possible number of users with this volume of data? The only servers that will be running on this cluster will be the file server cluster.

• Edited by NieWes Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:10 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:06 PM
  • Hello, please do not mark the thread as anwsered when there are still questions open. It would be great if that question would be anwsered. A 'just because' anwser is not very helpfull in my opinion.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi Taras, did you have the opportunity to ellaborate a little bit more on this?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:49 PM