none
Universal INF File, using an Extension INF file. RRS feed

• Question

• We provide a Universal "base" driver package using the verbiage I find here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/using-an-extension-inf-file

I am interested in our customers being able to customize our driver package, mostly with changes to the INF file's Strings section, but also, to a lesser extent, to them being able to customize our AddReg section/s of our INF file.

Thus far, our customers "resell" our driver package via the Microsoft Dashboard.  And must repeat their exercise of reselling every time we re-release our driver package.  Our customers need an EV certificate and knowledge of editing INF files.

We do not (yet) use Extension INFs.  To my knowledge, none of our customers who customize our driver package do so either.

That link above suggests that our customers can do exactly this type of customization using Extension INF files ("Typical scenarios where you might use an extension INF include:" "Modifying settings provided in a base INF, such as customizing the device friendly name or modifying a hardware configuration setting.")

Question:  What must our customers do with respect to certification, signing, testing and submitting their custom Extension INF files to the Microsoft Dashboard?  To "resell" they currently download a DUA package, modify it, upload it.  They leverage the HLK testing and submission that we did with our (base) driver package.  Is there a similar DUA process that they must go through?  Is the process of them submitting an Extension INF file-only driver package still called "resell"?

If I understand this correctly: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/submit-dashboard-extension-inf-files

the process is very similar to a DUA resell. Is that correct?  That our customers still need an EV certificate?  Still need our permission to "resell" our driver? Etc.?

Has anyone used Extension INF files? Any "tips and tricks"?

Thank you,

~Mark

Friday, May 24, 2019 6:31 PM

All replies

• I want to confirm that your problems have been solved? I also encountered the same problem as you, where does our base driver come from? Does the extension inf have to be changed based on the benchmark driver? How to write the extension inf, Is it ok to add Microsoft? need a vendor to provide DUA and then replace the driver upload?

Extension inf is to update the following part based on the benchark inf?

[Version] ... Class = Extension ClassGuid = {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

ExtensionId = {zzzzzzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzz} ; replace with your own GUID

[DeviceExtensions.NTamd64] %Device.ExtensionDesc% = DeviceExtension_Install, PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XXXX

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:19 AM