none
Sql 2016 Standard x64

Question

• Good morning, I need to convert an installation command line sql 2005 express in 2016 standard, maintaining the same characteristics.

Start /wait SQL_EXPR05_x86_x64_SP3.EXE /qb ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine INSTANCENAME=PL10 SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=soxmar2016 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 ERRORREPORTING=1 SQLACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" AGTACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" SQLBROWSERACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 SQLAUTOSTART=1

Many thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Nicholas,

It's not possible to upgrade a SQL Server 2005 directly to SQL Server 2016, independent of use edition Express/Standard, see Supported Version and Edition Upgrades 

You have to do at least one upgrade step between, e.g. SQL Server 2005 => 2008/2008R2/2012, before you can upgrade to SQL Server 2016.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Thank you.

Can i install sql 2012 with that command line?

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Thank you.

Can i install sql 2012 with that command line?

No syntax does not seems correct to me. Below should work, this is dummy code

Setup.exe /q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCACCOUNT="<DomainName\UserName>" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="<StrongPassword>" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="<DomainName\UserName>" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Thank you,try and send result
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Database compatibility is set to SQL 2000 if i upgrade the program say outer join error
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Can i install sql 2012 with that command line?

You can install every SQL Server from command prompt: Install SQL Server 2016 from the Command Prompt

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Database compatibility is set to SQL 2000 if i upgrade the program say outer join error

Here you have to follow side by side upgrade. You have to build new machine and then install SQL server 2016 on it. Then backup database on SQL Server 2005 and restore it on SQL Server 2016. Before doing so change compatibility level to 90 and then take backup. More details in this Article look for section 

SQL Server 2016 Support for SQL Server 2005

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:53 PM