Cannot install Project Professional 2010 64-bit - RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have Office 2010 Professional 64-bit installed, and therefore by definition have no remnants of 32-bit Office on my PC.  However when I try to install Project Professional 2010 64-bit, I receive an error message that "You cannot install the 64-bit version of Office 2010 because you have the 32-bit Office product installed.  These 32-bit products are not supported with 64-bit installations:" and the area where the problem apps would appear is blank.

My OS is Windows 7 RTM.

Any suggestions?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

• I have now found the solution to my problem.  "Compatibility Pack for the Office 2007 System" was installed - I don't know how it got there as presumably the Office 2010 Professional install would have not run had it been there when I installed beta 2...

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:33 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem and it was because I had an earlier version of Office 2010 installed.  I uninstalled Office 2010, reinstalled the newer Office 2010 beta and then I was able to install Project Professional 2010.

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiichael Wharton
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Thanks, but I had already uninstalled the first beta in order to install the second beta.  I had some difficulties doing that as Windows Update had installed some hotfixes relating to Office 2007.  Once I'd identified those and uninstalled them, I was able to install Office 2010 beta 2.

With Office 2010 beta 2 on my machine, I would have expected adding Project 2010 beta 2 to be straight forward, but unfortunately not.  Hopefully someone from the Project team will reply to this?
    PERF: TickCount=54547122 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Begin function
    Operating System version: 6.1.7600 . Platform ID: 2
    Running 64-bit setup on a 64-bit operating system.
    Command line: "C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2\setup.exe" 
    No command line arguments given
    Verify file signature in "C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2\setup.exe"
    Verify file signature in "C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2\PrjPro.WW\OSETUP.DLL"
    Using setup controller dll at [C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2\PrjPro.WW\OSETUP.DLL].
    PERF: TickCount=54547496 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Calling RunSetup

PERF: TickCount=54547512 Name=RunSetup Description=Begin function
    Catalyst execution began: 12/02/2009 09:53:26.
    Setupexe Resiliency Mode is set to [PerformIfApplicable]; thus Resiliency is [disabled] for the [InstallExecutionMode]
    Searching for updated versions of resource files under the 'updates' folder [C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2\updates].
    Found [0] resource files under the update folder.
    Searching for default versions of resource files under the folder [C:\Users\marcusf.ITEX\Downloads\Project 2010 beta 2].
    Found [1] resource files under the default folder.
    Running in [InstallExecutionMode]. Run from TEMP folder at [C:\Users\MARCUS~1.ITE\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001ca4].
    Loaded resource file [C:\Users\MARCUS~1.ITE\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001ca4\OSETUPUI.DLL] (CultureTag=en-US).
    Check if Office is supported on Windows 6.1.7600
    Windows is a supported version.
    Installation of 64-bit Office product blocked as supported 32-bit Office product already installed.
    The following are a list of the 32-bit Office product(s) installed :

See Setup.chm for more information.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:23 AM
  • I have now found the solution to my problem.  "Compatibility Pack for the Office 2007 System" was installed - I don't know how it got there as presumably the Office 2010 Professional install would have not run had it been there when I installed beta 2...

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Hello Michael,

I have the following problem.

OS windows XP professional 64bit

Office 2007 32 bit

I'm not able to install project professional 2010 64 bit

There is some upgrade that allow to me to install project?

Thanks

Monday, April 4, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Sorry, you cannot mix and match Office 32 bit with Project 64 bit.  See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

particularly this paragraph:

Side-by-side installations   No support is provided for side-by-side installations of 64-bit and 32-bit editions of Office, including across applications. For example, there is no support for side-by-side installations of the 2007 Microsoft Office system 32-bit with Office 2010 64-bit, or for Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 64-bit and Microsoft Excel 2010 32-bit.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, April 4, 2011 4:41 PM
  • What about side-by-side installations of 32-bit editions of Project Professional?

Is there support for installations of Office Project Professional 2007 32-bit and Project Professional 2010 32-bit?

Because in my situation that would be awesome. 

Thanks,

Matt

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Yes, you can install Project 2010 along with Project 2007.  A couple of cautions:  You cannot run both at the same time -- if you need this, consider running a virtual machine.  You cannot run Project 2007 by double clicking on a project file -- it will run Project 2010.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Julie,

It looks like there may be a caveat when the software is installed on a 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional (regardless of the service pack level).

It looks like it "is" possible with the 32-bit version of XP.  But not too big a deal as we are all well aware this is much older than what most users should be running (and we are in a transitional period migrating to newer OSs anyway).  But in this specific case I have to keep the particular machine in question on the older OS until this migration is completed.

Thanks for the advice on running multiple versions of MS Project.  I was somewhat aware that there may be issues when using multiple versions (such as which version "winproj.exe" maps to by default, which also affects the version it builds into by default if using VSTO).

Thanks again,

Matt

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:22 PM
  • You're most welcome, Matt and thanks for the feedback.

Julie

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:01 AM