none
ACPI Embedded Controller Driver in Win7 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I need to write a driver for Embedded controller in WIN7. hardware ID is "PNP0C09"  there is already Microsoft compliance ACPI driver for the same (acpi.sys).

If I load our driver on this driver (PNP0C09), acpi.sys will replace to our driver.

I want to load our driver on top of the acpi.sys, but I don’t find any instance in device manager where I can load our driver. BIOS change is not possible right now , so what is the way to communicate to Embedded controller .

can we access the Embedded controller through application ?

if yes then any sample code is available .

Thanks

bipul pandey

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:06 AM

Answers

• You need to describe your device in your motherboard's ACPI tables, which will cause Windows to expose the device. Look here for information about ACPI devices. The article is a little dated; you can write a KMDF driver rather than a WDM driver.

This is a rather complex undertaking, so you have a great deal to learn! Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any samples.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:35 AM

All replies

• Seriously? You want to replace the entire ACPI driver? Do you have any idea how much work that would require? ACPI.SYS is the second largest driver in Windows.

What problem are you trying to solve?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:17 AM
  • Hi Brian,

What we really are trying to explore is a way to communicate with the interfaces like a haptics motor in Embedded controller using ACPI commands and like i said earlier we donot have an instance to load our driver .

We are currently exploring how can the ACPI driver be called if there is no instance in the Device manager like what we have for battery in Win 7.

can you please suggest someway around to solve this.

Regards,

Bipul Pandey.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:10 AM
  • You need to describe your device in your motherboard's ACPI tables, which will cause Windows to expose the device. Look here for information about ACPI devices. The article is a little dated; you can write a KMDF driver rather than a WDM driver.

This is a rather complex undertaking, so you have a great deal to learn! Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any samples.

-Brian

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:35 AM