HTTP Post and WebService RRS feed

• Question

• User-1707891412 posted

I am working on a application which will accept the data in the post request. My application also wants to expose a web service and want to call another web service. Considering all these 3 action that I want to do, can I create a single application which will have a web form which will accept the POST request and expose a web service at the same time.

Although it may be possible to achieve this, Is this a correct way of doing it?

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• User1077589411 posted

Hi,

In general it will be easy to maintain if you have it as seperate application... 

It will lead to loose couping and easy maintenance.. as you can modify your webservice without modifying your web appln or aspx pages and vice versa...

It also depends on how much dependency is there between the too..

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:27 AM
  • User-1707891412 posted

Both of them are highly dependant. The reason I thought of keeping them together is because I have one specific functionality (call) exposed through Post and everything else is through web service. And for that small piece of work I thought maintaining a separate application is kind of too much.

Apart from the concern on ease of modification/mainitainace is there any technical reason that I should avoide having both of them together.

Doest HTTP REST and web service can be combined into one application?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:45 AM
  • User-136587686 posted

Hi,

Why you would  want to have REST services and Web Services together, both of them are doing the same thing. In terms of compatibility with client both are eqaul (in fact RESTful services can address more range of client base).

So I would say forget about Web Services, Just implement REST services  - with appropriate verbs (Get / Post, Put ).

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:22 PM
  • User-214697706 posted

yes, both rest and webservice can reside inside the same server :)

http://weblogs.asp.net/shijuvarghese/archive/2008/04/04/rest-and-wcf-3-5.aspx

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:21 AM