none
New flight 16294 released for Insiders

General discussion

• We have released a new flight with the build number 16294 for Insiders. If you discover any issue, please report it using the feedback app.

New this build:

• General bug fixes

Known issues:

• Network connectivity failures in MinnowBoard Max (MBM) firmware version 0.93. (Fixed in firmware version 0.94.)
    • F5 driver deployment from Visual Studio does not work on IoT Core.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:23 PM

All replies

• Windows IoT Remote still fails on RPi 2/3 with official 7" Raspberry Pi touch display.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Ditto. On mine I can see it working on the device (mouse movement, etc.), but the Remote Client is just a blank white window. Has been for at least the last couple of builds.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:45 PM
  • It's a pity that providing feedback through Feedback hub feels like talking to a wall, especially for the Windows IoT Core section.

There is no confirmation from Microsoft that the bug has been reproduced or that it has even been picked up. The Windows IoT Core improvement process is very untransparent this way.

The Windows IoT Core / Feedback Hub support people could take an example from the Visual Studio Developer community where problems are

• quickly responded to
    • clearlu tagged as "Under investigation", "Fixed", "Need more info" etc.
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:48 PM
  • It's a pity that providing feedback through Feedback hub feels like talking to a wall, especially for the Windows IoT Core section.

There is no confirmation from Microsoft that the bug has been reproduced or that it has even been picked up. The Windows IoT Core improvement process is very untransparent this way.

The Windows IoT Core / Feedback Hub support people could take an example from the Visual Studio Developer community where problems are

• quickly responded to
    • clearlu tagged as "Under investigation", "Fixed", "Need more info" etc.

These are the very reasons I tend to not use the feedback hub. If feels like a file 86 to me. At least publicly placing an issue on a forum that everyone reads and that is indexed by google and other search engines is like a public notice of an issue and puts at least some pressure on MS for resolution or official response. The old issue reporting system did work better in that you did get an update to the issue when MS triaged the issue, attempted to repro it, confirmed it, and then made a decision on whether it not was going to be fixed or that they were working on it and in which future release it was anticipated to be solved, and when it was solved and issue closed. While it was disappointing if MS decided that an issue would not be fixed, at least it let you move on to find another solution. With the feedback hub you are stuck in development limbo and have to put your own development work on hold indefinitely unless you decide to pay MS using an MSDN incident to report an issue. And even if you do MSDN issues might not support pre-release versions of IoT.

In contrast, Raspbian seems to have a much better response time to reported issues. Though to be fair, Raspbian is a much more mature OS and doesn't have to target multiple third-party and significantly different hardware and to expect a similar response time is not warranted.

For the developers that need a platform to work with and where Raspbian is an acceptable alterative, the issues plaguing Window IoT make it necessary to choose Raspbian. It's a shame because I think Windows IoT is superior in many ways. But designing any product based on Windows IoT is like designing a battleship with screen doors. As long as you never have to put out to sea, you're okay.

Sunday, October 1, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Indeed, Raspbian could be a good solution in many scenarios, but surely is Off Topic here, where we discuss about Windows 10 IoT Core. And I’d like to help Microsoft to improve his products and the way they collaborate with the community.

Microsoft has become a big player at the openness game, see GitHub numbers, the ASP.NET Community standup video, and more recently the Windows community standup with Kevin Gallo.

Maybe some teams are more involved on community collaboration, maybe some of them doesn’t still have enough resources to manage it as it should be.

Anyway, we need to keep asking for it, because we deserve it and Microsoft can only increase his propositional value from it.

Monday, October 2, 2017 10:50 AM
  • After two automatic updates over the last week (first 16299 and then 16299.15) still no joy on the remote client. Same behavior as before. I have submitted this feedback through the Feedback Hub.

As an aside - would be nice to see the release notes up here before I see the devices upgrade. Please let me know if there is another location I should be looking for the release notes.

Thanks!

Rick

Thursday, October 5, 2017 5:31 PM
  • hello

thanks to those who have reported issues with the Windows IoT Remote Client through Feedback Hub App

It's a known issue and will be documented in release notes soon

br
    Andre

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:42 AM