Unique identifcator of mobile device RRS feed

• Question

• User-42311961 posted
    Hi everyone,

I seach a method for identifiy a mobile phone. My goal is to be able to provide an automatic identification system to the users of my wap site.

First, I had think to cookies, but they are not available in all mobile phone. Next, I have found method using Windows CE API. I can't use it because I want to identify all mobile phone and not just them using a wnidows OS.

Does an other identification method exist ?

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:29 AM

All replies

• User-1361599924 posted

Provide the user with a bookmark to your site, ask the user to store that bookmark on their device. They should always access your site via the bookmark.

Append a unique ID to the end of the bookmark as a querystring argument. Use this to log the user in when they access your site.

Job done. Not fool-proof, but the best and easiest solution you're likely to find.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:07 PM
  • User-95607119 posted
    Not only fool-proof but also it is not secure. Let user identify theirselves by loging in.
    Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:57 PM
  • User-42311961 posted
    does someone have others ideas ?
    Monday, April 25, 2005 8:00 AM
  • User-1361599924 posted

From "Building Microsoft ASP.NET Applications for Mobile Devices, second edition";

Note 

NTT DoCoMo classifies i-mode sites as either official (in other words, sanctioned by NTT DoCoMo) or unofficial. NTT DoCoMo makes the unique ID of each i-mode handset available to the developers of official sites. The developer can use this ID in place of a cookie to track a session on the server. No such mechanism exists for unofficial sites. The WAP 2.0 specifications offer a number of ways to work with sessions and user identification—for example, by providing a unique client ID. You can read these specifications at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm.

Monday, April 25, 2005 10:11 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    If you have contract with some mobile operator and you have your own premium rate number then maybe operator allows devices or gateway to send mobile number to your site with HTTP request header. I don't know other ways how to detect device uniquely.
    Monday, April 25, 2005 1:25 PM
  • User-42311961 posted
    thanks you very much for all these informations
    Monday, May 2, 2005 6:16 AM