video codec inport limitation RRS feed

• Question

•  i am a video & multimedia producer and i am testing you expreassion media 2 software.
    i have a huge quantity of hard disks, cd and dvd to catalog, with mostly video and some digital images.
    your program runs very fast and stable, but
    i only get the thumbnail of the first frame usually black of my videos, i saw your answer to this question, but putting images for each video to replace the black thumbnails is impossible, too many of them.

i did not find a way to handle many kinds of video codec, the most important for my needs: m2v, m2t, and expecially dvd's .vob files.
    am i missing some information ?

hope you have some good news for me soon.
    thanks

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Miller,

Actually the post you saw, I think, was the one about creating HTML galleries, and getting the black first frame. For thumbnails there is an easy workaround - press spacebar to start the video and find the frame you want to use for your thumbnail. Press spacebar again to stop the video. Then use Rebuild Item (on the Action menu) to seal that in. From then on, your chosen frame will be in the thumbnail.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Microsoft Expression Media Support
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hello, a Microsoft Expression sister application to xMedia is called Expression Encoder 2 (for windows only, free trial on microsoft.com, available in Italian). It has a command line interface as well as the typical windows UI. You could use a batch command line to:

"To use the first non-black, non-solid color frame as the thumbnail"

such as this at a DOS prompt:

encoder.exe /source "source.mpeg" /target "target.mpeg" /ThumbnailMode BestFrame

???.VOB files will go directly into the xMedia2 catalog on Windows [also M2V, M1V, many others] - not Mac. Are you on OSX? If on PC do you have Quicktime installed?

my opinions are mine only
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:30 PM

• Hello,

Please check a related knowledgebase article here which explains why certain video formats like WMV (and many other formats) may be missing on catalog importers list or fail to import in Expression Media catalog.

Thanks,
    Sekar Raju
    Expression Media Support.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Hello Miller,

Actually the post you saw, I think, was the one about creating HTML galleries, and getting the black first frame. For thumbnails there is an easy workaround - press spacebar to start the video and find the frame you want to use for your thumbnail. Press spacebar again to stop the video. Then use Rebuild Item (on the Action menu) to seal that in. From then on, your chosen frame will be in the thumbnail.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Microsoft Expression Media Support
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:07 PM