• Here is my Environment.

Production Server:

Windows 2003 R2 SP2
    SQL 2005 Standard SP 2
    SQL 2005 Security Update Pack
    ReportViewer.exe -Redistributable
    ReportViewer.exe - Upgrade [SP1]
    .NET Framework 2.0
    Site - The site is in ASP.NET and has ReportViewer Control with Server Side [Remote] processing option enabled.

Client Browser : I.E 6 and I.E 7

Here is the problem , I  spent the entire day to get 'Print' functionality of ReportViewer to work . The good news is that it works on I.E 6.0 and Avant Browser.

However I get the error 'Unable to complete operation' on I.E 7.
    I added the site to Trusted Site list's that did not work , Neither did Enabling ActiveX or setting the security to low.

The only way that it work is if I turn 'Protected Mode' Off.  Is there a better way to solve this issue? on I.E 7?

C# Fan!
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you get any solution to this problem? I am facing same problem and solution needs to be done on server since we cant go and do any changes in Client machine.

Thanks in advance

Sups

Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Yes
    Make sure you have all the updates for ReportViewer , ReportViewer Hotfix and make sure you run the latest SP for your SQL Server.  [Installing SQL SP3 worked for me]

Quick Fix:
    Adding the site to trusted site could resolve this issue.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:50 AM
  •  

We are running into an issue with the SQL server 2005 as well as 2008 web viewer controls and IE8 Protected Mode.

when clicking the print button we expect to get the print dialog window, instead we get a popup with the message "An error occurred during this operation". not a very descriptive message but we found that it was caused by "Protected Mode" being enabled.
    having end users configure trusted site settings or modify their security settings is not an acceptable solution for our client base.

We have installed the latest report viewer redistributable 2005 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E7D661BA-DC95-4EB3-8916-3E31340DDC2C&displaylang=en

We have our SQL server 2005 up to date with one of the latest CU's on SP3 (CU4 / 9.00.4226.00)

but I am not familiar with this "Report Viewer Hot fix" mentioned, anyone have some further information on this?

-Derek @ TempWorks Software
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:59 PM
  • HI,

try to do these following.

Go to Tools -> Internet Option ->Security -> Select Intranet -> Custom Level

Under ActiveX controls and Plug-ins, Navigate to "ActiveX Contorls Marked Safe for Scripting" ->click  check box enable -> ok

then Restart IE

this will work.

Hope this answer will be help full

- Raja sekhar K
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Thanks Raja,

I am able to get around the issue by modifying the protected mode, this makes sense as a more specific fix for the active x control protections, however I need a solution that will not require my end users to modify any out of the box settings from IE.
    -Derek @ TempWorks Software
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:43 PM