Q: How can I change a color in a JPG using Expression Design? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a website for a friend of mine who recently opened her own insurance agency.  She had a graphic artist prepare a logo that she can use on her website, and she has provided that to me as a .JPG file.  However, she has decided that she wants to change some of the colors in the JPG.  It's a very simple logo, so I figured it would be easy enough to use Expression Design (even though I'm new to the tool) to simply change the green color that she wants to replace to the blue-green color that she wants to use.

I've tried loading the JPG into Expression Design, but I can't seem to find an easy way to simply "change" the colors.  I can select it using the color picker, but I can't find a simple way to replace it.  The only method I've found that might work is to trace a path and fill it...and while the logo is simple, there are some smooth curves that make tracing a path difficult (part of the logo is a filled capital "T" in a serif font -- and the fill color is what I'm trying to change).

I'm starting to reach the conclusion that it will be simpler to just re-create the entire logo in Design, rather than trying to edit the JPG.

Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• I wish I could point you to an easy way to do that, but there isn't because Design is primarily a vector editor. There are some Live Effects that can change colors but that would affect all of the colors and not just the one you want to change. If you can't get your friend to send you the image in a vector format, your only other option is to recreate the image. Of course Fred (a member of our forum) always has some good ways of doing things. Maybe he'll show up with a solution. Sorry, wish I had a better answer.
    Annie
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:37 PM
  • ...Of course Fred (a member of our forum) always has some good ways of doing things. Maybe he'll show up with a solution...
    Annie
    Hi Annie,

I appreciate your confidence in my 'workarounds."  :-) Hope all's well!

Pegasus,  I think you're on the right track in creating a new color shape to overlay the area you want to recolor.

Open a new layer on top of the existing jpg.  Suggest using the Pen tool to carefully draw the shape around the area you want to change; give the shape a contrasting color fill and a transparency value so you can easily see the original area.  You can adjust the nodes of the closed shape with the Direct Select tool.  Curved shapes can be difficult, so you can always use primitive shapes and add or subtract them from the main shape.  If you could post the image or a link, it would be easier to offer specific suggestions.

Once you have the shape to your liking, reset it to no transparency, no line and choose the color you want by using the Appearance palette.  Each area that you want to change should be treated similarily. Finally, just output the composite with a new file name

Cheers,

~Fred
    • Edited by Fred C_ Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:45 PM spelling
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:40 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:43 PM
  • It often depends upon the complexity of the image.  As a JPEG has been used I'd assume that there must be quite a few colours there otherwise a neat GIF would probably have a smaller file size.

I'd be tempted to create an image object of the bit to be changed then apply hue and saturation shifts to it.

But!  It would seem wiser still to have the original non-JPEG image with all layers and stuff intact if possible.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:05 PM