none
RAD and Code Generators RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am looking for code generator recommendations to speed up data, business and ui layers generation for database apps. For one I find it very daunting to manage code modifications specially when database schema evolves which is unfortunately often the case with the kind of clients I deal with.

Thanks

Regards

Monday, September 7, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

• At my old company we played with a code generator and I hated it! Eventually we wrote our own!
    For full flexibility, if you have the time, look into the Text Template Transformation Toolkit aka T4 which comes bundled with VS. Oleg Sych has a number of good tutorials on it. If it sounds useful Clarius have a plugin editor which gives you syntax highlighting and some intellisense in VS. T4 is good fun IMO. Using it together with an access database which defined my model I created templates for ASP.NET pages, CLSA.NET business layers, SQL scripts, and some other C# sharp files. Made my life very easy!

However, if you want to use a ready made generator, I worked with EuroWise CodeComplete. My colleague swore by CodeSmith - i think many devs swear by it as well.
    • Marked as answer by Zhipeng Lee Monday, September 14, 2009 7:00 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:05 PM