none
Office Outlook 2007 : Install Office customization : Deployment manifest requires <deployment> section. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to create an add-in for Office Outlook 2007 and have it installed using Windows Installer. I've followed this article, except instead of an Excel add-in I've created a simple Outlook add-in that adds a ribbon with a single button. The button currently does nothing. Everything builds and I can see the button when I run up the debugger. The installation now works after having tracked this down. However, when I start Outlook I see the following

This seems to be suggesting that the deployment manifest is malformed, but I haven't modified it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:33 PM

Answers

• change registry manifest location to BlueSquare.vsto|vstolocal (of course targetdir, etc. stays, just change manifest file)
    • Marked as answer by Parallax Error Monday, February 18, 2013 12:59 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 12:27 PM

All replies

• can you verify that indeed .manifest file is exactly the same on your dev machine as on the one where it does not work? what VS do you use to build add-in? what VSTOR do you install on machine where it does not work?
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Firstly, thanks for the prompt response.

I can confirm that the .manifest files are identical (I just compared them with WinMerge).

I'm using VS2008 (Version 9.0.30729.1).

On the test machine Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime is installed.

Interestingly, the OF2007 PIAs were not installed even though they are marked as a prerequisite. I don't know whether these get installed when Office 2007 is installed, but I installed then manually after. This had no effect (i.e. the add-in failed to load in the same way both before and after I installed the OF2007 PIAs).

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:58 PM
  • can you verify in add/remove programs (programs and features in win7) that only your vstor is installed? no other vstor versions should be there.
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Hello again,

Here's what I see in Programs and Features

Acme BlueSquare

Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime

The project (BlueSquare) is a dummy project for me to get to grips with development / test / deployment of Outlook 2007 add-ins and Windows Installer. As such, there's nothing sensitive or confidential about it, so I'd be happy to post / share part or all of it if that would help.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:44 PM
  • hmm, if you say that you installed your add-in using msi installer, why is it located under c:\users\user\appdata etc.? usually it is somewhere else. Are you sure you didn't install it using clickonce?

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Pretty sure. I followed the directions in this MSDN article. In the section beginning "To change the default installation folder" it suggests setting the default installation folder to the users application data folder.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:49 AM
  • yes, but appdata is a hidden folder, selecting it in destination target of msi takes some effort. Anyway, show us your manifest file from machine where it does not work.

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Here it is (BlueSquare.dll.manifest)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <asmv1:assembly xsi:schemaLocation="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1 assembly.adaptive.xsd" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:co.v1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v1">
      <asmv1:assemblyIdentity name="BlueSquare.dll" version="1.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="98745834fcb337ac" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" type="win32" />
      <description xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">BlueSquare - Outlook add-in created with Visual Studio Tools for Office</description>
      <application />
      <entryPoint>
        <co.v1:customHostSpecified />
      </entryPoint>
      <trustInfo>
        <security>
          <applicationRequestMinimum>
            <PermissionSet Unrestricted="true" ID="Custom" SameSite="site" />
            <defaultAssemblyRequest permissionSetReference="Custom" />
          </applicationRequestMinimum>
          <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
            <!--
              UAC Manifest Options
              If you want to change the Windows User Account Control level replace the 
              requestedExecutionLevel node with one of the following.

<requestedExecutionLevel  level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
            <requestedExecutionLevel  level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
            <requestedExecutionLevel  level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false" />

If you want to utilize File and Registry Virtualization for backward 
             compatibility then delete the requestedExecutionLevel node.
        -->
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>
      <dependency>
        <dependentOS>
          <osVersionInfo>
            <os majorVersion="5" minorVersion="1" buildNumber="2600" servicePackMajor="0" />
          </osVersionInfo>
        </dependentOS>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly dependencyType="preRequisite" allowDelayedBinding="true">
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Windows.CommonLanguageRuntime" version="2.0.50727.0" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook" version="12.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="71E9BCE111E9429C" language="neutral" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Interop.SmartTag" version="12.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="71E9BCE111E9429C" language="neutral" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Tools.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms" version="11.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="71E9BCE111E9429C" language="neutral" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0" version="9.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="office" version="12.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="71E9BCE111E9429C" language="neutral" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="stdole" version="7.0.3300.0" publicKeyToken="B03F5F7F11D50A3A" language="neutral" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="System.Core" version="3.5.0.0" publicKeyToken="b77a5c561934e089" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
          <assemblyIdentity name="WindowsBase" version="3.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="BlueSquare.dll" size="12800">
          <assemblyIdentity name="BlueSquare" version="1.0.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
          <hash>
            <dsig:Transforms>
              <dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />
            </dsig:Transforms>
            <dsig:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
            <dsig:DigestValue>3e4ULwI60c2XepO+6Hx+H7g8FPg=</dsig:DigestValue>
          </hash>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <file name="Images\BlueSquare.png" size="195">
        <hash>
          <dsig:Transforms>
            <dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />
          </dsig:Transforms>
          <dsig:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
          <dsig:DigestValue>KnZ9twZXka/qGc4mCATEhXIcW3U=</dsig:DigestValue>
        </hash>
      </file>
      <vstav2:addIn xmlns:vstav2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vsta.v2">
        <vstav2:entryPoints>
          <vstav2:entryPoint class="BlueSquare.ThisAddIn">
            <assemblyIdentity name="BlueSquare" version="1.0.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
          </vstav2:entryPoint>
        </vstav2:entryPoints>
        <vstav2:update enabled="true">
          <vstav2:expiration maximumAge="7" unit="days" />
        </vstav2:update>
        <vstav2:application>
          <vstov3:customization xmlns:vstov3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vsto.v3">
            <vstov3:appAddIn application="Outlook" loadBehavior="3" keyName="BlueSquare">
              <vstov3:friendlyName>BlueSquare</vstov3:friendlyName>
              <vstov3:description>BlueSquare - Outlook add-in created with Visual Studio Tools for Office</vstov3:description>
            </vstov3:appAddIn>
          </vstov3:customization>
        </vstav2:application>
      </vstav2:addIn>
    <publisherIdentity name="CN=WIN7-HMPR-08-07\Parallax" issuerKeyHash="06ea088d005fccba5283f6fe1f240f58c28540e4" /><Signature Id="StrongNameSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>/u9aLuv6QFld3YAgrjocubqZxso=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>ZjVIlV5VZQBRVvW7DJ1+zK7TcsRoKoPZ+O3fRt4nxn5kfKIfrCjtjZapdbCv1fa9sQJdcubu15AaX8S6WfdHY06nNjanMdvY4TNcSr1HfMyAAdaQWLiKQvoiJ8vZKsE8jkpmedege3yYjmGZM0BiEWDWOMfuedWWD/Evq8MDTQg=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo Id="StrongNameKeyInfo"><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>t7ECTYbLZsSFOVWHXELomyIsCgZU+BLFoSNeXgv2tQF5PZP4e4LNiaon1BQaL5k/zlTMTfhCEFOdMFfBNQgwxWOqtSgJ+xxuHvGfPZ+ulh+wN7F+54LRMXSCL/kLMaF0z1Wmn2abFAda6e8jCUs20ircHWs0oeYsKA1kBlAd+qM=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><msrel:RelData xmlns:msrel="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/rel/2005/reldata"><r:license xmlns:r="urn:mpeg:mpeg21:2003:01-REL-R-NS" xmlns:as="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/pki/2005/Authenticode"><r:grant><as:ManifestInformation Hash="cac699bab91c3aae2080dd5d5940faeb2e5aeffe" Description="" Url=""><as:assemblyIdentity name="BlueSquare.dll" version="1.0.0.0" publicKeyToken="98745834fcb337ac" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" type="win32" /></as:ManifestInformation><as:SignedBy /><as:AuthenticodePublisher><as:X509SubjectName>CN=WIN7-HMPR-08-07\Parallax</as:X509SubjectName></as:AuthenticodePublisher></r:grant><r:issuer><Signature Id="AuthenticodeSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>4tdRBeOqjA7iEesaDzoAnqgf9Qk=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>g1fWJLcsW7c8sPyORz00GOjnp5nWgq9wnDQHL1TZZKSoRanFCV4XLbnru2+ZRUmVFg/DyBouDfNaI84DKdqMl3xz53fXZ/7Oq/MieozMgohNMBZLrwGtIEntNPN9fjpw97FxCWvxMvDCzSc9kmdv5VO94bkK26ThB9gd/35hOhY=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>t7ECTYbLZsSFOVWHXELomyIsCgZU+BLFoSNeXgv2tQF5PZP4e4LNiaon1BQaL5k/zlTMTfhCEFOdMFfBNQgwxWOqtSgJ+xxuHvGfPZ+ulh+wN7F+54LRMXSCL/kLMaF0z1Wmn2abFAda6e8jCUs20ircHWs0oeYsKA1kBlAd+qM=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><X509Data><X509Certificate>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</X509Certificate></X509Data></KeyInfo></Signature></r:issuer></r:license></msrel:RelData></KeyInfo></Signature></asmv1:assembly>

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:18 AM
  • i do not see any deployment elements in manifest definition on MS site either. Can you show us what registry values are you setting with your msi installer? (show us fully expanded registry editor of msi project in VS)
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Acutally there is deployment section but only in ClickOnce deployment manifest that should end in .application extensions. So apparently you are using ClickOnce after all - or at least vstor thinks so. Do you have setup project at all in your VS solution?
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Here's a screenshot of the VS solution with the Registry open.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:20 AM
  • did you at last once used ClickOnce options or tried to deploy using it? Are you sure you are using msi from your setup project output?  Somehow vstor thinks this is clickonce deployment. As for screenshot, could you post it again but just actual registry values so it does not end like up above? (completly unreadable)

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:27 AM
  • No, I haven't used ClickOnce. Unfortunately, it's not an option for me on this project.

The screenshot above is being squashed by the browser / page, but you can zoom in to see the detail (CTRL + +, CTRL + -). I've also attached a cropped area that just shows the registry values, which should render nicely without needing to zoom.

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:43 AM
  • ok, please try to create from scratch new plugin with setup file, change absolutly nothing, just build msi and deploy on that machine where you have problem - does it end also with such error?
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Great minds think alike. This is exactly what I've done with the BlueSquare add-in - it's a dummy project, it does nothing. I created a new solution in VS, added a new VSTO project targeting Office 2007 and added a new setup project. Everything from scratch. Nothing fancy, just so that I can iron out this problem. The machine that I'm installing it on has nothing installed except Office 2007. Still the problem persists. I'm really scratching my head with this. Is something refering to something that it shouldn't be? Maybe something isn't refering to something that it should be? I'm really struggling for ways to try and isolate the cause of this problem.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 11:07 AM
  • put your setup project in zip, upload it somewhere and give us link, i will try to install it on my test machine.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 11:45 AM
  • Okay, here it is.
    • Marked as answer by Parallax Error Monday, February 18, 2013 12:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Parallax Error Monday, February 18, 2013 12:59 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 12:08 PM
  • change registry manifest location to BlueSquare.vsto|vstolocal (of course targetdir, etc. stays, just change manifest file)
    • Marked as answer by Parallax Error Monday, February 18, 2013 12:59 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 12:27 PM
  • DamianD, thank you for your help, but particularly for your patience. It turned out to be such a trivial and silly problem, but it was driving me crazy.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:00 PM