Collaboration using VS Team Foundation Server (Meier) - 2/15/2008 3:36 AM PST RRS feed

• Question

• By: Meier

Does Blend work with the Team Foundation Server? 

We are using Visual Studio 2005 with Team for source control and if our 
    designers use Blend to create the user interface, can Blend safely open and 
    modify files in this environment?

Does Microsoft have a recommendation as to how to set up this collaboration?
    Friday, February 22, 2008 6:54 PM

Answers

• I'd like throw my 2.5 cents in here... the potential beauty of the Expression/Visual Studio workflow is completely destroyed by the fact that Expression doesn't have integrated source control. We're doing a lot of work in both Blend and Visual Studio... my team does the design, layout, animation in Blend and codes in Visual Studio. Sometimes it's the same people across the workflow, sometimes different. While we have and love this very natural workflow, the source control problem throws a big potato in the pie (I'm not sure what that means :) ).

For now, we use a combo of Tortoise/SVN/Visual SVN (VS add-in). I'm sure the very classic VSS would work as well. But, both options just suck for a lot of reasons.

Really, designer (Expression Design), interactive developer (Blend), and developer (VS) should all work together seamlessly... that's in the marketing literature after all. And we can't do that realistically without integrated source control... because no self-respecting organization is going to build anything without source control.

Keith
    • Proposed as answer by Psper Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:43 AM
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 1:49 PM

All replies

• By: Jeetendra Kukreja

Hi,

Although we are actively looking at source control hookup support within 
    Blend itself there is currently no released or Beta version which has this 
    functionality. A possible option I can suggest is to use VS as the source 
    control tool and then open the solution in Blend for editing purposes.

I agree that this poses the challenge for designers to have and understand 
    VS source control. We realise the importance of this scenario and are 
    working on providing an efficient and user friendly solution for the same.
    -- 
    Thanks,
    Jeetendra Kukreja

"Meier" <Meier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
    news:51C8ED5B-738F-4560-8ECF-B30BF67FDA97@microsoft.com...
    > Does Blend work with the Team Foundation Server?
    >
    > We are using Visual Studio 2005 with Team for source control and if our
    > designers use Blend to create the user interface, can Blend safely open 
    > and
    > modify files in this environment?
    >
    > Does Microsoft have a recommendation as to how to set up this 
    > collaboration? 

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Can you also consider as part of this the ability to integrate with other source control solutions as is the case with Visual Studio.

What likelihood do you think this has of making it into a upcoming release?
    www.21apps.com
    Friday, May 2, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  Providing source control support is fairly high on our list of things to do. Besides that, we cannot speculate on the release plans or whether we will support MSSCCI or an plug-in API like VS, etc.

Thanks,
    -Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 9:06 PM
  • I'd like throw my 2.5 cents in here... the potential beauty of the Expression/Visual Studio workflow is completely destroyed by the fact that Expression doesn't have integrated source control. We're doing a lot of work in both Blend and Visual Studio... my team does the design, layout, animation in Blend and codes in Visual Studio. Sometimes it's the same people across the workflow, sometimes different. While we have and love this very natural workflow, the source control problem throws a big potato in the pie (I'm not sure what that means :) ).

For now, we use a combo of Tortoise/SVN/Visual SVN (VS add-in). I'm sure the very classic VSS would work as well. But, both options just suck for a lot of reasons.

Really, designer (Expression Design), interactive developer (Blend), and developer (VS) should all work together seamlessly... that's in the marketing literature after all. And we can't do that realistically without integrated source control... because no self-respecting organization is going to build anything without source control.

Keith
    • Proposed as answer by Psper Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:43 AM
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 1:49 PM
  • HI, 

Any news about Blend and Team Foundation Server integration ??
        We use VS2008 and Team Foundation Server for a WPF app and for now this issue don't allow us to work with Blend.....

Thanks in advance
    Friday, July 25, 2008 5:51 PM