none
Demand Management Workflow permissions for particular stage(s) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a simple demand management workflow and i want to give certain permissions in a way that any one in the organization can trigger the workflow but on the later stages only one department will have the rights to submit the project to next stage. Can i achieve it simply by permissions/configuration or if not possible then can we achieve it through customization?

Any help in this will be highly appreciated

Regards

Adil

Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Adil,

The best way to meet your requirement is to change the approach slightly. Out of the box, security trimming of the submit button is not possible, in fact as far as I am aware, if you have access to open and edit the project, then you can also submit a demand management workflow. But, if you add a workflow approval after the submit in your workflow you will be able to target those approvals at a specific project server security group (using the read security group action) and therefore restrict who can submit the project to the next stage. Once once you get an approval will the workflow continue. If you get a rejection, well you can customise the workflow to handle that too.

The demand management white paper at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686781.aspx outlines how to accomplish this.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Thanks Alex for your reply,

I have got your point here but this will change the behavior of the workflow which i do not want to do now but I can use this as the last resort. One idea i want to discuss here that is it possible if i update the project owner from the workflow itself, this way i will give permissions to everyone for My Projects Category and when the workflow submits I will update the project owner, this way everyone will not be able to see the project after submitting the workflow, or second thing, can i put some default value from the start in the projectowner field so that it will only be accessible by particular person.

Regards

Adil

Saturday, December 4, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Hi Adil,

Yep, setting the Project Owner field should work. You can certainly do it through the GUI, so should be able to achieve it via an UpdateProjectProperty workflow action. I would be interested to hear how you go.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply, through the GUI its pretty straight forward and it works absolutely fine, but we can't rely on the user for selecting proper owner name. On the other hand i tried updating the project owner using UpdateProjectProperty workflow activity, the history tells that it is updated successfully but it does not reflect on the owner name  and the original requester is continue to see its project in project center, Although i did check in and publish the project from Project Web Access. I also tried to update the owner id field but it gave me wrong owner guid error. We just need to set a default value for project intrinsic field and remove owner name field from first proposal submission page , is there no way?

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Adil Hussain

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:35 AM