What happens to this Preview in March When It Dies....

Question

• I am hoping that the OS (Windows 8 Preview) doesn't die completely in March.  I'll keep everything backed up just in case.  I'd rather no buy another OS as I've already paid for Windows 95, 98, ME, XP Pro, XP Home, and Vista.  Before Windows 95 there are copies of MS-DOS reaching as far back as 3.3.  I've discontinued support for 8086 machines.  I still have several clients using DOS machines.  I'd like not to have to reload my system again, if I don't have too!  Please let me know what the procedures are? :-)
    Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• You will need to reinstall another OS when it expires next March. When it expires the Developer Preview will repeatedly restart. You won't be able to upgrade.

Revert Back To Previous Windows Version

If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If Windows came with the computer - Reinstall Windows Preinstalled On Computer

OEM computer manufacturers are required to provide at least one way for you to reinstall Windows if you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled - your computer should have included either a restore partition on your hard drive, or Windows install/restore disks. Most computer manufacturers also have a feature to make your own install disks.

If the restore partition is still there and was not removed, it will reinstall Windows 7. There is usually a prompt when you first start the computer telling you what key to press to start the restore - check your manual if you're not sure how to. If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If you don't have the restore partition or install disks:

Contact the OEM computer manufacturer and ask them to send you an install disk for your computer - they may or may not do it. If they agree to send you one they may charge a small fee.

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Also, it is stated on the Windows Developer Preview download page that you must reinstall the previous OS:

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• You will need to reinstall another OS when it expires next March. When it expires the Developer Preview will repeatedly restart. You won't be able to upgrade.

Revert Back To Previous Windows Version

If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If Windows came with the computer - Reinstall Windows Preinstalled On Computer

OEM computer manufacturers are required to provide at least one way for you to reinstall Windows if you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled - your computer should have included either a restore partition on your hard drive, or Windows install/restore disks. Most computer manufacturers also have a feature to make your own install disks.

If the restore partition is still there and was not removed, it will reinstall Windows 7. There is usually a prompt when you first start the computer telling you what key to press to start the restore - check your manual if you're not sure how to. If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If you don't have the restore partition or install disks:

Contact the OEM computer manufacturer and ask them to send you an install disk for your computer - they may or may not do it. If they agree to send you one they may charge a small fee.

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Also, it is stated on the Windows Developer Preview download page that you must reinstall the previous OS:

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Thank you very much.  I realize this kind of thing has to occur. I've put time bombs into some of the software I've written to keep people from taking a demo and using it in production.  I wish Microsoft was more into People and Less into the Bottom line.  It would really help little guys like me to not have to pay over and over again.  I began writing code for the government in 1978. I've seen lots of companies go the way of the bottom line and unless they look in the mirror, I fear for Microsoft and Apple too!  They could take a lesson for Oasis, Iris, CP/M, and others and not push those who support them out of the car. :-)
    Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:42 PM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:42:42 +0000, Just Plain Folks wrote:

Thank you very much.? I realize this kind of thing has to occur. I've put time bombs into some of the software I've written to keep people from taking a demo and using it in production.? I wish Microsoft was more into People and Less into the Bottom line.? It would really help little guys like me to not have to pay over and over again.? I began writing code for the government in 1978. I've seen lots of companies go the way of the bottom line and unless they look in the mirror, I fear for Microsoft and Apple too!? They could take a lesson for Oasis, Iris, CP/M, and others and not push those who support them out of the car. :-)

As a Microsoft shareholder, I'm all for the bottom line. :-)

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Binary:  Possessing the ability to have friends of both sexes.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:57 PM
  • I too have stock.  Do you write software that people use everyday to get their jobs done. I do.  The debate over income vs. value is and old one and not likely to be solved by us.  I bought my stock pre-Windows 2.0 release. It serves me well.  Income isn't the issue.  User needs on a daily basis is. 
    Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:10 PM