none
Azure Monitor - "metric" source not available for SQL Database, SQL Servers, SQL Elastic Pools RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an Alert Rule to monitor the storage-used percentage metric in Azure Monitor.

However when selecting databases, servers or elastic pools, only "activity log" is available as a source - not "metric".

It's there if I want to create a "classic" alert, but that's being deprecated in a few months, and I'd need to do it one resource at a time - not ideal for 100+ databases.

How can I do this please?

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:08 PM

All replies

• HI Kieren,

The new Azure Monitor is not fully functional in Azure SQL Databases just yet. The Alerts (Classic) functionality will be deprecated in June 2019 time frame where Azure Monitor will be the go to service for this going forward. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks, I think you've helped me out before, much appreciated!

From what you're understanding, it's not there yet and the existing old implementation will be deprecated.  That doesn't sound very positive for being able to keep the existing functionality - are you also saying that it will be available in Azure Monitor before June?

Thanks again

Kieren

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Kieren,

In addition to the information provided earlier. You can refer this document for further details on retiring the old implementation of Alerts. 

Hope it helps. 

Regards

Anurag

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi Kieren,

Yes, Azure Monitor is set to be deployed and available before the June 2019 timeframe for Azure SQL PaaS services. I apologize for not making that part clear. The document that Anurag provided is relevant. I just do not have a specific date as to when Azure Monitor functionality will be made available for Azure SQL services.

I am looking in to this. ~Mike

Thursday, February 21, 2019 6:13 PM
  • It's there if I want to create a "classic" alert, but that's being deprecated in a few months, and I'd need to do it one resource at a time - not ideal for 100+ databases.

"Deprecated" in Microsoft-speak does not generally mean turning off entirely, some "deprecated" features are still running years later, "deprecated" generally is just a warning, and if it's going to be turned off another notice is generally given.  Sometimes I think they end up deprecating the deprecation.  Though that's no guaranty.

Josh

• Edited by JRStern Thursday, February 21, 2019 6:48 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Hi,
    We are working to support for SQL DB metrics with new alerts (expect news this month).
    We will allow creating one alert rule to manage multiple databases.

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful", this will keep us motivated to help in the forums, best regards.

Saturday, March 9, 2019 9:00 AM