none
Portfolio Analyzer Cube Question RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Cube Configuration features of PS2010, I've added a few custom enterprise fields to the Portfolio Analyzer Cube.   These fields are lookup table based and are Resource type fields.

I was suprised to discover that my new fields have no impact when it comes to filtering a pivot table based on that cube.  For example, I have a "Title" custom field based on lookup values (eg..Associate, Consultant, Senior Consultant, Principal, etc).   Each enterprise resource has a value for this property.  the field shows up as a dimension, but has no impact when it comes to filtering. 

Did I miss something, or is this just something that I will have to work-around.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:51 PM

Answers

• The answer depends on what you're trying to filter exactly and how you configured your cube.

The portfolio analyzer cube is a virtual cube based on data from several other cubes. There are resource information there, but also task information and project information. If you try to filter task data based on a field on the resource level, the cube won't make the link between the dimension and the data you want to filter. It's a common issue. To solve it you need to add the resource field on the assignment level as well as the resource level when configuring the OLAP database. Then you will have two dimensions available: one on the resource level, and one at the assignment level, and you must remember to use the assignment dimension when you want to filter assignment data, because the other one will not deliver the expected results.

Hope this helps. If not, please describe more exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Livia

• Marked as answer by BayouB Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:46 PM

All replies

• The answer depends on what you're trying to filter exactly and how you configured your cube.

The portfolio analyzer cube is a virtual cube based on data from several other cubes. There are resource information there, but also task information and project information. If you try to filter task data based on a field on the resource level, the cube won't make the link between the dimension and the data you want to filter. It's a common issue. To solve it you need to add the resource field on the assignment level as well as the resource level when configuring the OLAP database. Then you will have two dimensions available: one on the resource level, and one at the assignment level, and you must remember to use the assignment dimension when you want to filter assignment data, because the other one will not deliver the expected results.

Hope this helps. If not, please describe more exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Livia

• Marked as answer by BayouB Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Thank you SO MUCH!!!   

My Resource Custom field is called "Title" - its based on a lookup table.

In the Cube Configuration section - I added the "Title_Resource" field as a Resource Dimension.  I added both "Title_Resource" and "Title_R_Assignment" fields as Assignment dimensions.

Now my pivot table works.  For example I can use the Title_Resource field as a Report filter. 

Again, thanks!!   JBG

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:37 PM
  • John,

Are you taking any steps to assure that both custom enterprise fields, Title_Resource, and Title_R_Assignment, will stay in "synchronization" with each other as more projects enter your PS 2010 portfolio?

Thanks kindly.

--John 

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:15 PM