none
Text to reverence a Drop-down List Content Control RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a standard document that can be used across multiple offices.  The idea is to have the user select their name from a Drop-down List Content Control and the office address, phone number, fax number (yes we still have a fax) will be filled in automatically.  I expect to have approximately 20 names in the Drop-down List Content Control.  I have experimented with bookmarking the Drop-down List Content Control and using (REF) and a bunch of (IF) statements to get what I want.  It didn't work and not sure it is what I want anyway as the fields won't update automatically.  Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:25 PM

All replies

• See: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/16498-multiple-entries-dropdown-lists.html#post46903
    and, for different elements from a selected item to be output to different content controls, see:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/16498-multiple-entries-dropdown-lists-5.html#post120392

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:34 PM
  • Hi SuperDaveNC,

You had mentioned that,"I have experimented with bookmarking the Drop-down List Content Control and using (REF) and a bunch of (IF) statements to get what I want.  It didn't work and not sure it is what I want anyway as the fields won't update automatically"

I suggest you to post your code here, We will try to check it and try to find the issue to solve the issue.

With only description, We cannot know what you are doing exactly and what needs to be change to solve the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:42 AM
  • Deepak: Unlike formfields, which have a 'calculate on exit' property (but also require 'filling in forms' protection to be applied before they'll work), content controls have not such property, so any field coding relying on that setting (plus a formfield's bookmark name), isn't going to work. As for your suggestion that the OP post the code, have you ever tried to copy & paste field coding into a forum? Finally, the OP's problem description is perfectly clear. The solution is to either use a macro, such as in the links I posted, or ditch the content control and use a dropdown-formfield (with all its limitations) instead.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:06 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

This is what I'm looking for.  I am going to play around with this for a bit and see if I can get it to do what I want.  I'll stop back by and comment once I figure it out (or can't figure it out).

Cheers,

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:36 PM
  • Hi SuperDaveNC,

Is your issue solved?

I find that you did not follow up this thread for a long time.

If your issue is solved then I suggest you to post your solution and mark it as an answer.

If your issue is still exist then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:36 AM