none
ATL development outlook plugin fails to load, how to solve RRS feed

• Question

• Such as the title, start the program displays COM add-ins COM add-ins loaded error, load failure

After manually loaded, plug-ins can run its normal but still Displays the above error, restart the program, plug in turn fail, we need to manually re-load

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:28 AM

Answers

• OK , _IDTExtensibility2 Interface OnConnection and OnDisconnection should return S_OK instead of the default E_NOTIMPL
    • Marked as answer by tk1223108078 Saturday, March 21, 2015 9:25 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:45 AM

All replies

• What do you see when running under the debugger?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:52 AM
  • Try to add any logging mechanisms to the add-in (i.e. create a log file where you can record each step in the code). Thus, you can understand what part of code fails to run. 

Also make sure that you have all the required prerequisites installed on the problematic PC. Do you get an issue on the development PC?

Be aware, Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

You can read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:04 AM
  • In addition to Eugene's guidance about errors resulting in hard and soft disabled add-ins you should also be aware that Outlook will disable add-ins if they don't meet certain performance criteria.  Refer to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj228679.aspx#ol15WhatsNew_AddinDisabling to see the criteria that Outlook will look at when deciding whether to disable an add-in.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:48 AM
  • I have found the problem, the return value is wrong interface
    Friday, March 20, 2015 12:51 AM
  • I have found the problem, the return value is wrong interface
  • I have found the problem, the return value is wrong interface, thank you
  • I have found the problem, the return value is wrong interface, thank you
  • Could you be more specific?

It may help other developers in future.

Friday, March 20, 2015 2:21 AM
  • OK , _IDTExtensibility2 Interface OnConnection and OnDisconnection should return S_OK instead of the default E_NOTIMPL
    • Marked as answer by tk1223108078 Saturday, March 21, 2015 9:25 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Thank you for sharing the solution for other forum readers.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 11:58 AM