Azure VM DNS Namespacing Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. In the process of getting our AWS machines up in Azure, and running into a simple but annoying issue wrt DNS names for our instances.

Understanding that the DNS entry must be globally unique, we're trying to use a DNS name along the lines of:

COMPANY-ENVIRONMENT-MACHINETYPE-NUMBER.cloudapp.net.

A real world example would be:

fiftymission-prod-app-1.cloudapp.net

We are of cource running into the Azure DNS name limitation of 3-15 characters, meaning we're going to have to choose a more cryptic name like:

fifty-p-a-1.cloudapp.net.

Before we go ahead and provision everything, just looking to confirm that 15 chars is the limit and if anyone has any namespacing tricks to ensure consistency and uniqueness.

Cheers

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the attached screenshot is not available.

What I talked about is the DNS name for the cloud service. If you mean the virtual machine name, then the name must contain between 3 and 15 characters.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Susie Long Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, February 2, 2015 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on my experience, the DNS name of the cloud service must be globally unique. When you create a cloud service, the DNS name(except for the “.cloudapp.net”) contains only letters, numbers, hyphens and the first and last character in the field must be a letter or number. Trademarks, reserved words, and offensive words are not allowed.
    In addition, I tried on my side and the limitation is 63 characters.
    Did you want to create each VM in a cloud service? How many VMs did you want to create? Why don’t you create them in the same cloud service? The VMs in the same cloud service share the same public IP address and can be connect between each other via a private channel.
    Best regards,
    Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Hi Susie. I understand that the names must be unique - the question revolves around the DNS limitation. I created a VM a few weeks ago with a longer name, but now all VM DNS names seem to be limited to 15 chars max, rather than the 63 you mention. See attached screenshot:
    Monday, January 26, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the attached screenshot is not available.

What I talked about is the DNS name for the cloud service. If you mean the virtual machine name, then the name must contain between 3 and 15 characters.

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, February 2, 2015 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:34 AM