none
Timeline feature: how to have SOME tasks overlapped? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to have a visual summary overview of several sub projects in a master project file. The timeline seems perfect for this, however it's not very effective if I have to make separate timelines and copy/paste them to another program to have an overview of several projects in 1 file.

That's why I want to have 1 timeline with several projects on it. For it to make sense, I want 1 (or 2) line(s) per project. Some tasks within a project may overlap each other but I don't want the projects to overlap each other as well. That's why I can't use the standard "Overlapped Tasks" checkbox (in the "Format" tab, "Show/Hide" group).

Is this possible to achieve with standard options/features? If it takes VBA to accomplish, that's fine as well and I will appreciate all tips on how to get it done.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:50 AM

Answers

• Kris,

The timeline feature was added to Project 2010 and it doesn't have a lot of graphical capability. It may be developed in future versions of Project but if I understand your desire, you can't get there from here with either limited custom formatting or VBA, at least in Project. I suggest you expand and collapse the Gantt Chart view of your master file and adjust the Gantt timeline to show what you want. Or, copy and paste the desired timelines to another application.

You could use VBA to export the desired data to another application (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) that has more graphic flexibility, but that would require some development. I'm not aware of any existing code to do that but you could do a Google, (or other), search. You might get lucky.

John

• Marked as answer by Kris Roosen Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Kris,

I'm not sure that it will answer your need, but can't you use the "display as callout" formatting so you can manage easily overlapping tasks?

In case it doesn't help, then I guess you'll have to try by custom code, which I can't help you for (I'm not a developer).

Here is VBA references for PS2010 where you'll find various timeline related methods.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Kris,

The timeline feature was added to Project 2010 and it doesn't have a lot of graphical capability. It may be developed in future versions of Project but if I understand your desire, you can't get there from here with either limited custom formatting or VBA, at least in Project. I suggest you expand and collapse the Gantt Chart view of your master file and adjust the Gantt timeline to show what you want. Or, copy and paste the desired timelines to another application.

You could use VBA to export the desired data to another application (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) that has more graphic flexibility, but that would require some development. I'm not aware of any existing code to do that but you could do a Google, (or other), search. You might get lucky.

John

• Marked as answer by Kris Roosen Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response guys.

I guess it will be best if I export to Excel like you suggested, John. I'll figure out a way to keep the Excel data updated automatically and I have enough VBA knowledge to make some graphical magic happen in Excel!

Cheers,

Kris

(I still regard this as a major flaw in MS Project 2010)
    • Edited by Kris Roosen Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:46 AM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:45 AM