Role Management from your site RRS feed

• Question

• User2069888697 posted

I have Just posted these solutions at aspsksolutions.com .

1. Add/Delete Roles  allows you to add or delete roles from your site.

2. Add/Delete User Role  allows you to Add or remove Users from roles.

For those of you who have been following this project, this should complete the basic setup of admin control.

For those who have not, you will also find posts on how to

1. Setting up tour site for Admin pages

2. Require approval when signing up(with email notification to Admin when new member signs up)

3. Approve/Unapprove with Email Notification

I have tested all on 2 diferent sites and had no problems.

I hope this helps.(now on to the next project)

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 10:35 PM

All replies

• User-1909038188 posted

Thanks for all these very helpful extensions.

I have one question relating to the way to code the master page reference in the pages in the Admin folder. I created the Admin folder and placed the Admin.aspx and UserApproval.aspx pages in that folder but the pages are not employing the master page. The page directive looks like this:

<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master" Title="Untitled Page" %>

I've tried several variations on referencing the master page but none work?

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:16 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

I apolagize for missing this.

The problem is not the master page file but the css file. put a copy of the css file in your admin folder and it should work fine.

I will look into why this is needed when I get a chance.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 10:02 AM
  • User-1909038188 posted

Thanks for the speedy response.

I put a copy of the css file in the Admin folder and that had an effect but the green background for the menu and the image were still missing. I copied the images directory to the Admin folder and that corrected it.

If you find a way to avoid having these copies I'd be interested.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 10:49 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

Just to let you know I am aware of the problem with the site throwing an error and forcing you to close the window.

I did find a couple of suggestions on causes and solutions on there forum, but have not found one that works. (Yet another web kit with problems and no true solution). If I do not find a solution soon I will replace the entire site with a different one.

I apologize for any Inconvenience.

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 6:18 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

I just recieved an email from a member and this is how he worked around the problem

No apology needed.  I just printed the pages to a .pdf and copied from there.  All is well.  Thank you for your code, it is greatly appreciated...

Again I am working on a fix, thank you for your patience.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 6:28 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Still working on fix.

I have added a download so you can download and get the info for now.

http://aspsksolutions.com/CS/files/default.aspx

p.s. I am quikly losing my patience with the Community Server app, I have found several postings on the issue and no real solution to the problem.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:47 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

The Links in the original post are no longer valid.

I have requested the forum moderator to have them removed.( I hope he can)

I will be posting a new link soon.

Friday, March 10, 2006 3:28 PM
  • User-2041805088 posted
    The Links in the original post are no longer valid.

I have requested the forum moderator to have them removed.( I hope he can)

The links have been removed from your original thread.

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:33 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Thanks for the quick response, it is much appreciated.

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:54 PM
  • User-612598547 posted

If you're using VWD, I don't think you have to copy the css and graphics down a directory.  When creating your pages, there is a checkbox at the bottom called "Select Master Page".  I think that will then reference your default.master file.  I haven't tried it to confirm, might do that.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:45 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

The original version I wrote did point to the master page file.  Unfortunatley the master page file calls for the css file with this line of code.

<link type="text/css" rel="Stylesheet" href="Default.css" />

when you call a master page file it is overlayed with the aspx page.  It seems the aspx directory location is kept on the combined pages, this causes the css not to be found.  using href I was unable to to point to the css because href will not except "~/Default.css" or ".../Default.css".

I'm sure there must be another way to call the css, I just did'nt look for it, mainly because I was in a hurry to get a working version out

In my final version I decided to use a seperate master and css file, because I did'nt feel the admin pages had to keep the look and feel of the site, as only an admin would actually see these pages.

I would be interested to know how to change the master files ref to the css from a sub-folder though, so if any one can help it would be great.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:11 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

I have been notified of 2 errors that can be thrown when using Approval and sending email.

1. No email or email format incorrect:  This problem is inherited from a flaw in the validator in the Member_Register.Aspx ( you could just add spaces or anything and it would accept it)

Replace with this to fix: This validates that the email format is abcd@efgh.com, yes someone can still put in a fake email but this is to keep the honest people honest)

<td>

<asp:TextBox ID="Email" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:RegularExpressionValidator ID="RegularExpressionValidator1" runat="server" ControlToValidate="Email"

ErrorMessage="Not a Valid Email Address" SetFocusOnError="True" ValidationExpression="\w+([-+.']\w+)*@\w+([-.]\w+)*\.\w+([-.]\w+)*"

ValidationGroup="CreateUserWizard1"></asp:RegularExpressionValidator>&nbsp;

<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="EmailRequired" runat="server" ControlToValidate="Email"

ErrorMessage="E-mail is required." ToolTip="E-mail is required." ValidationGroup="CreateUserWizard1">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

</td>

2. Invalid Email Address: Email goes out but is returned that host or user not valid.

I have not foumd a fix for this at signup yet, but I am in the final testing of an email verification addon before the user is approved.  What this basically will do is generate a random 10 character string when the Admin pre-approves the account, emails the the string with a link, to the EmailVerification.aspx page, where they will enter there username and emailcode, once the code is verified the account will be approved and they will be able to sign in.

Anyone who has downloaded the Admin Pages from my current site will be sent this update by email.

If you recieved my admin pages from my old site and would like this update please either sign-up at my new site or email me Admin@aspsksolutions.com , I will be happy to send it to you.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:07 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

I have just posted a delete user Addon for the admin pages, This version is for combined databases.

You will need to Sign up to Download it. I have it set for Admin Pre -approval so it may take some time to get the Email verifiction code. I check my email 7am , 2pm, 5pm, 9pm, 11pm EST.

Also in final testing is the Email Verification addon and the File Download Addon, I am currently using both on my site and they are working great, I need to write the setup instructions and will be posting them soon.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 11:33 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I apparently have registered on your site before but I don't remember my login or password.  Could you send it to me at jmw@thewebbpage.net.  That email address is already in your DB.

I am interested in purchasing the Admin software.

When I tried to send you this email while on your site, an error occured and it apparently didn't get sent.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:42 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Added a Forgot password link to the default.aspx,  sorry about forgetting to do that.

I have been busy rewriting the Admin pages to use  side navigation and multiview system,  this will give the Admin features a much cleaner look and it also seems to run faster using multiview as apposed to seperate pages for each feature.  Hope to have this update released soon.

Goto aspsksolutions.com for more or updated info.

On a side note many who have recieved the admin pages have not registered as a member on my site,  I did not require it, but if you would like to recieve updates please do so.

Friday, April 14, 2006 9:22 AM
  • User-302016627 posted

I would be interested to know how to change the master files ref to the css from a sub-folder though, so if any one can help it would be great.

Probably my post in this thread might offer U some insight regarding this issue

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1223783.aspx

"I found one HUGE advantage of using Themes (apart from the Cool factor), is the ability to organize your code-files (aspx) in folders + nested subfolders.

With the default StarterKit (css based) I had to replicate the css in every sub-folder I created ..."

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 4:34 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Thanks I have looked at the thread,  I Have not had time to get to deeply into converting to themes at this time. It is something I am interested in, I just have had my hands full with the new Web Admin Page.

I am aware of the advantages to themes, but I really wanted a simple solution to help others whor are just setting up the CSK and do not plan to switch to themes.

The solution I came up with for now is combining all the admin features on to one page with the use of multiview and adding security in every Sub to allow only Admin control.  This way they can put it in the root of the CSK and wala bye-bye Master Page and css issue.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 5:42 PM
  • User835272165 posted

I case you are interested, I have found a solution to the CSS reference issue.  You need to add the runat="server" to the <head> element.  Now you will be able to have the master page and CSS file in the root folder and then have content pages in sub-folders that reference the master page.  I hope this helps!

<head runat="server">

<title>My Club Site</title>

<link type="text/css" rel="Stylesheet" href="clubsite.css" />

</head>

Thanks,

Russ

Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:19 PM
  • User-680927624 posted

I purchased your add-in from your website and have not been able to successfully run the sql. My host is godaddy (yeah I know it stinks but it's all I have for now). I am getting the following error:

Line 42: Incorrect syntax near 'BEGIN'.

Being a sql noob I'm at a dead end. Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 12:44 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

Ok it does seem there may be a problem with the sql script on Godaddy, as you are the second person to report a promlem.

The problem seems to be coming from the Delete User Procedure.  Email me at Admin@aspsksolutions.com and I will help you get through it.

It is hard for me to test the script on GoDaddy and they are the most restritive hosting company out there. Well worth getting away from as soon as you can.  Until then lets get you up and running.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:15 AM
  • User-680927624 posted
    Thanks for all your help. I can confirm that this add on works great on godaddy. Once the problem was identified it was very easy to get everything workingl. I highly recommend this addition to everyone's sites. MaineOne has been very responsive and helpful.
    Monday, June 12, 2006 10:45 AM