none
vs2010 pro installation failure

Question

• Hi, I an trying to install vs2010 trial, the installation stalls after the initial files are set up, and the setup page is not rendered fully. In task manager there are two setup.exes, one is stable at around 720k, and the other is increasing at 300 or so k a sec, it seems as though it is loading into memory instead of the hard disk. the start page does render further but never gets to the final stage, then it all ends. Anyone any ideas please

Thanks in advance Jim

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for sending me the e-mail.

I've checked the log files, and find the contents below in the file MSI36fd2.LOG:

MSI (c) (A8:F0) [11:24:30:735]: Creating MSIHANDLE (61042) of type 790531 for thread 5872

MSI (c) (A8:F0) [11:24:30:735]: Closing MSIHANDLE (61042) of type 790531 for thread 5872

MSI (c) (A8:14) [11:55:09:928]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [12:26:22:352]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [12:57:34:303]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [13:28:46:251]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (AMSI (c) (A8:F0) [14:29:30:513]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (14) of type 790541 for thread 5872

Please notice the time changes in the log file. Seem like the installer fail to load its UI components.

Would you please provide the information of your hardwares, like CPU type, memory, graphic card type, etc? And make sure it fulfil the hardware requirements of Visual Studio.
    Visual Studio 2010 Hardware Requirements:

• Computer that has a 1.6GHz or faster processor
    • 1 GB (32 Bit) or 2 GB (64 Bit) RAM (Add 512 MB if running in a virtual machine)
    • 3GB of available hard disk space
    • 5400 RPM hard disk drive
    • DirectX 9 capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution display
    • DVD-ROM Drive

Also, you can use the Process Monitor tool: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the hang happens.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi Andrew, many thanks for the info, I was unsure of the graphic, as it kept returning to the default setting for no reason, so I decided to reinstall windows, as I had already reinstalled the graphis drivers, which din't resolve either issues. All works well now including VS 2010.

The log files may help you to help others with the same problem.

Thanks again

Jim

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

First, there are several things I would like to clarify with you:

• What is your OS version?
    • In which step does the installation failed? Would you please provide some detailed infomation?

It is correct that you saw two setup.exe process in the task manager. Would you please try the steps mentioned in this post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/ecb1403a-a343-43d9-92c6-a50f5bee3cf6?

To troubleshoot the Visual Studio installation issues, typically we need to collect the installation log files and analyze them. Would you please follow the steps below to collect the log files?

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install Visual Studio 2010 again (with Administrator privilege).

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         You can find the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder.
    Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail:
    v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for sending me the e-mail.

I've checked the log files, and find the contents below in the file MSI36fd2.LOG:

MSI (c) (A8:F0) [11:24:30:735]: Creating MSIHANDLE (61042) of type 790531 for thread 5872

MSI (c) (A8:F0) [11:24:30:735]: Closing MSIHANDLE (61042) of type 790531 for thread 5872

MSI (c) (A8:14) [11:55:09:928]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [12:26:22:352]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [12:57:34:303]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (A8:14) [13:28:46:251]: ChildUIThread wait timed out

MSI (c) (AMSI (c) (A8:F0) [14:29:30:513]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (14) of type 790541 for thread 5872

Please notice the time changes in the log file. Seem like the installer fail to load its UI components.

Would you please provide the information of your hardwares, like CPU type, memory, graphic card type, etc? And make sure it fulfil the hardware requirements of Visual Studio.
    Visual Studio 2010 Hardware Requirements:

• Computer that has a 1.6GHz or faster processor
    • 1 GB (32 Bit) or 2 GB (64 Bit) RAM (Add 512 MB if running in a virtual machine)
    • 3GB of available hard disk space
    • 5400 RPM hard disk drive
    • DirectX 9 capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution display
    • DVD-ROM Drive

Also, you can use the Process Monitor tool: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the hang happens.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi Andrew, many thanks for the info, I was unsure of the graphic, as it kept returning to the default setting for no reason, so I decided to reinstall windows, as I had already reinstalled the graphis drivers, which din't resolve either issues. All works well now including VS 2010.

The log files may help you to help others with the same problem.

Thanks again

Jim

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:01 PM