Cross project dependencies: How to? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I create cross project dependencies amongst projects that are also a part of project online / project web app?

Ian

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:23 PM

All replies

• Have all projects on Project Online and use the Dependencies feature.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Thanks, Rod. Are you speaking about "Project Dependencies" for purposes of Portfolio Analyses?

I'm curious if a project manager can mark specific tasks or deliverables in a project as being dependent on another task or deliverable within a different project.

Ian

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:19 PM
  • imbruck2 --

Are you talking about setting cross-project dependencies by linking a task in one project to a task in another project with a dependency such as Finish-to-Start?  Or are you talking about setting Deliverable dependencies using the feature that is only available through Project Server and Project Online?  The answer to your question depends on what you are looking to accomplish.  Please let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:32 PM
  • Dale, Do you prefer using the Deliverable Dependancy, or the hard cross links? I am finding that the are linked projects are not updating when predecessor talks move, or update in what appears to be wrong results. A button to push to update? And I find it hard to view the Dependancy deliverable task that shows up as a purple bar, but no other info. Users say "what is that?" And it takes digging to figure it out. Any documents or books which elaborate how to do this with Project Online (hosted by Microsoft with Project Pro 2013).

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:25 PM Spelling
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:23 PM